These are sample exit interview questions. Feel free to copy and use any combination of these exit interview questions in your organization.
- What caused you to start looking for a new job in the first place?
- Why have you decided to leave the company?
- Have you shared your concerns with anyone in the company prior to deciding to leave? What was the response?
- Was a single event responsible for your decision to leave?
- What does your new company offer that encouraged you to accept their offer and leave this company?
- What do you value about the company?
- What did you dislike about the company?
- The quality of supervision is important to most people at work. How was your relationship with your manager?
- What could your supervisor do to improve his or her management style and skill?
- What are your views about management and leadership, in general, in the company?
- What did you like most about your job?
- What did you dislike about your job? What would you change about your job?
- Do you feel you had the resources and support necessary to accomplish your job? If not, what was missing?
- We try to be an employee-oriented company in which employees experience positive morale and motivation. What is your experience of employee morale and motivation in the company?
- Were your job responsibilities characterized correctly during the interview process and orientation?
- Did you have clear goals and know what was expected of you in your job?
- Did you receive adequate feedback about your performance day-to-day and in the performance development planning process?
- Did you clearly understand and feel a part of the accomplishment of the company mission and goals?
- Describe your experience of the company’s commitment to quality and customer service.
- Did the management of the company care about and help you accomplish your personal and professional development and career goals?
- What would you recommend to help us create a better workplace?
- Do the policies and procedures of the company help to create a well-managed, consistent, and fair workplace in which expectations are clearly defined?
- Describe the qualities and characteristics of the person who is most likely to succeed in this company.
- What are the key qualities and skills we should seek in your replacement?
- Do you have any recommendations regarding our compensation, benefits and other reward and recognition efforts?
- What would make you consider working for this company again in the future? Would you recommend the company as a good place to work to your friends and family?
- Can you offer any other comments that will enable us to understand why you are leaving, how we can improve, and what we can do to become a better company?
End the exit interview meeting on a positive note. Commit to using the information provided to improve your workplace. Wish your employee success in his or her new endeavor. End the exit interview graciously.
Find out more about exit interviews.