"The heights by great men reached and kept
Were not attained by sudden flight,
But they, while their companions slept,
Were toiling upward in the night." --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." --Calvin Coolidge
More quotations about persistence and determination.
Practicing the self-discipline and persistence to stick with the course youve set to attain your goals and purpose is the single most important factor in determining whether you will achieve them. Self-discipline to stick with the direction you have set, or to purposefully change it, allows you to persist every day on your journey. Note that purposefully changing your course, if you determine that the action plans you developed or the goal you originally set, are not the right steps or plans, is perfectly okay.
What is not okay is to drift off from your plans due to a lack of persistence, determination , and self-discipline. Drifting is synonymous with failure.
These ideas will help you stay on course to achieve your goals and dreams.
- Renew your vision of what you are working to accomplish regularly. Use your mind to visualize yourself accomplishing the goals or achieving the purpose you set for yourself. A strong, powerful vision of an outcome you sincerely desire is the foundation for persistence and self-discipline.
- Do something every single day to move in the direction of your desired achievement or goal. Whether you write steps in your planner or shoot from the hip, make sure you make progress every day. Progress becomes your habit.
- If you find yourself drifting away from your course, analyze what is going on. You may find it is time for you to change your course, or tweak your direction, or that the plans you made are not producing the results you want to create. Maybe the goal is not the right goal for you any more. Do the analysis. Dont just stop.
- Involve a friend or network in helping you achieve your goals. Having people to root you on aids persistence and supplies some of the discipline you need to keep moving.
- When you fail and we all do place yourself gently back on the path. Dont beat yourself up, call yourself names, or run a negative tape in your mind.
More about how to encourage the practice of self-discipline in others: Promote Self-discipline.