An Interview Rejection Letter Demonstrates Respect
Do you want to establish a reputation as an employer of choice for potential job candidates and your own employees? With the accelerating war for the best talent, your reputation is the recruitment tool that will attract the best employees - or the worst.
Prospective employees express confusion and uncertainty when they have attended a job interview at your company and then, hear nothing for weeks - if ever. This is disrespectful treatment, especially at the interview stage in your recruitment process.
The candidate successfully made it through the application process to an interview. He or she deserves closure. Here is my recommended process for writing a candidate rejection letter.
Sample Rejection Letter Following the First Interview
Mr. Peter Elias
1984 Potter Street
Anywhere, TX 00000
The Graham Corporation interview team thanks you for coming in to attend a first round interview with the team. You will not be scheduled for a second interview. At this time, we have several candidates whose qualifications appear to better match our requirements.
We appreciate the time you took to come in and meet with our team. We enjoyed meeting you and encourage you to apply in the future for Graham Corporation openings that match your qualifications.
While we don’t feel that our current opening is the best match for your qualifications and experience, we do encourage you to apply again in the future. We will also keep you in mind should an appropriate opening come up.
Thank you again and best wishes with your job search.
Richard R. Holmes
Director of Engineering
Disclaimer – Please Note:
Susan Heathfield makes every effort to offer accurate, common-sense, ethical Human Resources management, employer, and workplace advice both on this website, and linked to from this website, but she is not an attorney, and the content on the site, while authoritative, is not guaranteed for accuracy and legality, and is not to be construed as legal advice.
The site has a world-wide audience and employment laws and regulations vary from state to state and country to country, so the site cannot be definitive on all of them for your workplace. When in doubt, always seek legal counsel or assistance from State, Federal, or International governmental resources, to make certain your legal interpretation and decisions are correct. The information on this site is for guidance, ideas, and assistance only.
Standard Application Acknowledgement Letter
More About Sample Candidate Rejection Letters
- See a standard applicant rejection letter that you use to respond to applicants who are not as qualified as the applicants you decide to interview.
- See another sample, simple rejection letter sample for applicants whom you reject without an interview.
- Here is another sample rejection letter for applicants whom you choose not to invite for an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who did not appear to be a good fit for your company culture.
- See another sample rejection letter for use when youâ€™d like the candidate to interview for a different job in your company.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate you hope applies again in the future: good cultural fit.
- Find another sample rejection letter for an applicant whom you hope reapplies in the future.
- This is a rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a first interview.
- Find a sample rejection letter for a candidate who is rejected following an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a second interview.
- Find out more about how to write job candidate rejection letters.
Letters for Successful Candidates
What if the candidate you are contacting was successful in his or her application? Following are sample job offer letters to let the candidate know the good news.
Sample Job Offer Letters
- Sample Employment Offer Letter (Standard Early-to-Mid-Career)
- Early Career: Sample Job Offer Letter
- Mid-Career Sample Job Offer Letter
- Executive Sample Job Offer Letter
- Sales Representative Sample Job Offer Letter
- Generic or Standard Sample Job Offer Letter