Recruitment is the process of finding candidates, reviewing applicant credentials, screening potential employees, and selecting employees for an organization. Effective recruitment results in an organization hiring employees who are skilled, experienced, and good fits with your corporate culture.
Recruitment methods should ensure engaged, competent, productive employees who are loyal to your organization.
The most common and effective recruitment strategies include:
- Obtain referrals from current employees.
- Participate in online social networking at sites such as LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Tap into the online and off-line social networks of current employees.
- Offer an effective, informational, exciting corporate recruiting website.
- Participate in in-person networking at community and professional events.
- Attend and exhibit at job and career fairs at colleges and universities and community and organization-sponsored events.
- Post job openings on job boards.
- Advertise job openings in newspapers and their associated websites.
- Sponsor scholarships, activities, class projects and events at local colleges and universities.
- Contract for the services of a recruitment firm or headhunter.
- Search and use other employer-employee matching methods at a variety of job boards. (Options are changing quickly and every job search site has its specialty methods, some more effective than others.)
A comprehensive list of steps in employee recruitment is available in a Checklist for Hiring Employees.
Make sure your recruitment plan and strategies yield the results you seek. Schedule a recruitment planning meeting to ensure a successful recruitment approach. Also, use your team for recruitment and try these additional top ten recruiting tips.