Do you need a sample rejection letter? Here is a sample for the applicants who did not get the job. Use this sample letter to develop your own letters to politely and kindly turn a candidate down.
This sample rejection letter is for an applicant you’d like to hire in your company.
Name of Applicant
Dear (Applicant Name):
We interviewed a number of candidates for the (Name of Job) position, and we have decided to offer another applicant the position. This letter is to let you know that you were not selected for the position for which you applied.
The interview committee was impressed with your credentials and experience. We’re offering you the opportunity to interview for a second job opening as a (Job Title) in our company. Enclosed is a position description for your review.
If you decide you are interested in talking with us about this second opening, please call or email (Name) and we will schedule an interview at your earliest convenience. We are currently doing first round interviews for this position.
Thank you so much for taking the time to come to (Company Name) to meet our interview team. We enjoyed meeting you and our discussions.
Whatever you decide about interviewing for this second job opening, please feel free to apply for posted positions, for which you qualify, in our company in the future.
We wish you every personal and professional success with your job search and in the future. Thank you for your interest in our company.
Real Person's Name and Signature
Example: HR Director for the Employee Selection Team
Disclaimer – Please Note:
Susan Heathfield makes every effort to offer accurate, common-sense, ethical Human Resources management, employer, and workplace advice both on this website, and linked to from this website, but she is not an attorney, and the content on the site, while authoritative, is not guaranteed for accuracy and legality, and is not to be construed as legal advice.
The site has a world-wide audience and employment laws and regulations vary from state to state and country to country, so the site cannot be definitive on all of them for your workplace. When in doubt, always seek legal counsel or assistance from State, Federal, or International governmental resources, to make certain your legal interpretation and decisions are correct. The information on this site is for guidance, ideas, and assistance only.
Standard Application Acknowledgement Letter
More About Sample Candidate Rejection Letters
- See a standard applicant rejection letter that you use to respond to applicants who are not as qualified as the applicants you decide to interview.
- See another sample, simple rejection letter sample for applicants whom you reject without an interview.
- Here is another sample rejection letter for applicants whom you choose not to invite for an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who did not appear to be a good fit for your company culture.
- See another sample rejection letter for use when you’d like the candidate to interview for a different job in your company.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate you hope applies again in the future: good cultural fit.
- Find another sample rejection letter for an applicant whom you hope reapplies in the future.
- This is a rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a first interview.
- Find a sample rejection letter for a candidate who is rejected following an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a second interview.
- Find out more about how to write job candidate rejection letters.
Letters for Successful Candidates
What if the candidate you are contacting was successful in his or her application? Following are sample job offer letters to let the candidate know the good news.
Sample Job Offer Letters
- Sample Employment Offer Letter (Standard Early-to-Mid-Career)
- Early Career: Sample Job Offer Letter
- Mid-Career Sample Job Offer Letter
- Executive Sample Job Offer Letter
- Sales Representative Sample Job Offer Letter
- Generic or Standard Sample Job Offer Letter