Bad bosses are a perennially popular topic on this site. I think that the topic of a bad boss resonates with everyone because we've all had one at one time or another during our working lives.
I ran a poll in the past that asked what you would do if you had a bad boss. The majority of readers said they would talk with their boss. I lauded everyone's courage, but your responses also made me think. Here are my thoughts about how to deal with a bad boss.
Polling Center: See how site readers voted on recent polls.Poll: What Makes a Manager a Bad Boss?
You may only vote for one, so you might want to start by reviewing the list.
- The manager provides little direction.
- The manager offers little or no recognition for success and hard work.
- The manager is indecisive and seemingly changes direction at whim.
- The manager micromanages and nit-picks your work.
- The manager belittles and puts down staff.
- Other. Please add your own opinion about what makes a bad boss to "comments" below.
- View Results
Readers share more thoughts about what makes a boss - bad. What makes a manager or supervisor a bad boss, in your opinion?
Related to Bad Boss
Dear Readers: Comments that defame an individual by name and company name will be deleted. We're just looking for the characteristics of a bad boss and your experiences with them, not names. Also, please no more submissions in all CAPS. I won't be publishing them in the future because readers tell me that they are too hard to read. Thank you for your participation and cooperation. Susan
Image Copyright John Foxx / Getty Images