From the article: How to Deal With Difficult Bosses
A difficult boss is hard to describe. He or she has habits, expectations, interpersonal deficiencies, and work methods that defy description. What bothers one employee about a difficult boss may be another's cup of tea. But, one thing is for sure: a difficult boss requires coping on a daily basis at work. If you have a difficult boss, no matter how you define difficult, you have developed skills, tools, and techniques for dealing with your difficult boss. In fact, you're probably a pro. Tell us how you deal with your difficult boss. See More Reader Responses. Share Your Secrets
MY MANAGER IS UNPREDICTABLE
- I JUST STARTED WORKING IN A MARKETING DEPARTMENT RECENTLY. AS ALMOST LIKE ALL OTHER MARKETING DEPARTMENT, EVERY STAFF IS GIVEN A TARGET OR A QUOTA TO HIT BY END OF EACH MONTH. CROWD AROUND HERE IS SLOW, AND GETTING IN PEOPLE TO PAY IS NOT EASY. THIS MONTH IS BEEN VERY BAD, MY FIGURE RIGHT NOW IS A MILE AWAY FROM WHAT I HAVE TO REACH. WE HAD A SMALL CONFERENCE EARLIER REGARDING THIS, I AND MY WORK MATE WERE POINTED OUT AND GOT SCOLDED BADLY, NO ONE HAS EVER USED SUCH WORDS ON ME LIKE MY MANAGER DID, I FEEL TERRIBLY DOWN AND GOT NOWHERE TO HEAD. THIS KEEPS ON HAPPENING VERY FREQUENT. HE ALRIGHT WITH OTHER STAFF WHO DO HIT THEIR TARGET, BUT IT ISN'T FAIR AS THIS IS MY 3RD MONTH HERE, OTHERS HAVE BEEN WORKING LIKE FOR A YEAR OR SO. I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT QUITTING ASAP,, BUT NOT MANY COMPANIES AROUND HERE PAY AS MUCH AS THEY DO. CAN ANYONE ADVICE UPON THE SCENARIO I FACING?
- Worse to work for bad boss, i going through this situation as now, i even reported the situation to HR nothing is going on. Im prepared to leave the organisation.
- —Guest ..matoko
Bullied at work
- The boss simply wants me out when all I do is work incredibly hard every day. It is no different than high school bullying since it is very convenient whenever a company is suffering to just point at fingers at some lower position without thinking that it is ruining an honest worker's life. My work is built on good business practices and I am nowhere near being terrible at my job. Why am I being bullied out of some personal bias based or personal opinion? There is nothing more I can do to improve at this point. Why can't favoritism stay out of the workplace?
- —Guest unnecessary
Just tell off
- Just be courageous and tell your boss off when he is over the limit. Let him know it is enough. You can do that if you are full of yourself and not fearful. By tolerating, it can be harmful to your health. Once you voice out, give him time to repent. If not, then quit. You can move on with a peace of mind.
- —Guest molly
- My boss tries to make employees robots by internalizing sales pitches! He think that he's a Tony Randall and he makes my inside sales job difficult. I feel like I'm working in a hostile environment with him creeping around and monitoring our calls! He makes me very uncomfortable and uneasy! Please help! Even my supervisor is sneaky and creepy! She's not even qualified to be a supervisor. It was based on her mother and her tenure with the company! Also both show favoritism toward certain people!
- —Guest Stephanie45
- My boss is very abusive, when he fights in his house he will come and shout at me. Somethimes he says bad things about me, he even said that he will replace me from my work. I am a general admin but he sometimes wants me to look after his kinds. or clearn his house. I'm working extra hours, but he pays me half pay. If things are like this, what should one do? I'm scared he's going to replace me is if I bring up the issues, he even threatend that he can afford top layer because he has money. No one can touch him! I realy hate working here.
- —Guest lilian
HOW TO HANDLE BOSS
- My immediate bosses do intellectual work while I'm provided with non productive work. Then they take credit from our main boss and are provided with benefits while I feel depressed? How to handle such situation where growth is limited and quitting job is not favourable?
- —Guest anonymous
Getting along with my boss
- I have moved to a new organization due to the fact that my direct supervisor was demanding, unfair, unappreciative and two faced. Never support me. In the new organization, my boss she is too negative, always likes to please her boss no matter what, which put me in arguing situations with her specially when we do work against policy and procedure. I have noticed that clearly, which I do not want to impact on our relations, yet I do not want to be blamed from her and their decisions. What to do to stop arguing with her, and get her beside me, and maintain a positive effective relationship with her? Thank you, Almasa
- —Guest Almasa
- My department manager frequently reminds me of mistakes I had made in the pas t- and corrected. On a daily basis, she mentors me on how to sleep, eat, wake up, spend my breaks, and spend my pay-cheque. Although she trains me on these non-work related items, she has not trained me to do what she expects of me. Although I do understand how to do my job; I do not understand how to supervise my co-workers. I am not even a supervisor! I have no title, no training, and no fair pay; but I am stripped of my dignity on a daily basis for not having caught and corrected other workers' mistakes. In my co-workers' defense, they had been trained by employees who had not even made it past their probationary period, and there are no print resources to find the answers to the questions they have about what is expected of them when they are not under supervision. My method of dealing with this is internally repeating my mantra, "A bitch is a bitch." This is temporarily effective; but I see no resolution.
- —Guest Baloo
- Once I was watching a sex picture on my laptop and my boss seeing it got annoyed and went away. How can I manage him to bring him my favour?
- —Guest gaga
Lady Boss - all Negative Character
- I am working in top MNC of World in electronics. My manager is a Lady. She have some problems like: 1- Makes sarcastic comments, 2- Micro manager type, 3- She want to have all information on his tip every time, 4 - She is very less knowledgeable and undereducated, 5 - she always loves to play games, 6 - she always comments, 7 - she is timid and incompetent, 8 - she always tries to cut down my effective under worker, 9- she likes Boot licking people not work centric, 10 - if any problem comes, she hands it off tp save herself, no matter that somebody else has to suffer for her mistakes, 11- she is Ego centric, 12 - if everything goes, she takes credit, if every pin point small error, something little goes wrong, she puts us in front of senior department. Can anybody help me, guide me? How to deal with such a kind of toxic Lady boss.
- —Guest Prafull nautiyal
- I was hired as an office manager to planning manager and after two months I discovered it is very diffcult to deal with his team especially my manager was very weak in front of his team. So I decided to leave his department and move to another section. I tried a lot to forget all of this nonsense and start a new beginning but now he tried to annoy me again as a punishment for leaving him and tries to insult me. Really, I don't know how to deal with narrow mindedness personality.
- —Guest Hanna
Do your work
- I am working in a construction company. I report directly to the Chairman. When we are working we have a few issues happening in the office. It is quite natural. Do not take anything seriously. When you listen just do it and live it the next movement. If your voice is raised or you discuss the same with others, you will be in trouble. One of the main things is that never ever discuss bad words about your boss with your co-employees. Don't bother with other things.
- —Guest vasanthi
Bad Assistant Manager
- My assistant manager always screamed a lot when she found out that a mistake had been done and followed that with insulting remarks. She acts very well in front of our manager but always talks badly about us. Nothing we do is good to her and she sees herself as the only capable worker and that without her, the company won't survive. I am sick and tired of this woman!
- —Guest libra
Boss with ego
- Working in a university planning department where hierarcy is of uncivilised bosses. From first to last, each one tries to be oversmart. They all feel proud by yelling, shouting, telling lies about employees, specially when is not there, favourites list, and also caste gender.
- —Guest Isha Sachan
1-15 of 36Next