This sample job specification for a human resources director provides an example of a job specification. This sample job specification for a human resources director describes the requirements for the appropriate person for your role. The job specification includes education, experience, characteristics, skills, knowledge, and an overview of the job requirements.
The following requirements (job specifications) were determined by job analysis and derived from the job description as crucial for success in the human resources director role. The successful candidate for the human resources director position will possess these qualifications.
Experience - Human Resources Director:
- 7-10 years of progressively more responsible positions in human resources, preferably in a similar industry in two different firms.
- Experience supervising and managing a professional staff.
Education - Human Resources Director:
- Bachelors Degree in Human Resources, Business, or a related field required.
- Masters in Business or Human Resources Management or a related field preferred.
- J.D. a plus.
- SPHR designation will receive consideration, but is not required.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Characteristics - Human Resources Director:
These are the most important qualifications of the individual selected as the human resources director.
- Strong effective communicator in writing, business presentations and in interpersonal communication.
- Highly developed, demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Demonstrates a high degree of confidentiality and unusual common sense.
- Able to direct the efforts of a team of diverse human resources professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to increase productivity and continuously improve methods, approaches, and departmental contribution while being cost-sensitive. Commitment to continuous learning.
- Expert in employment law and employee relations and communication.
- Demonstrated ability to see the big picture and provide useful and strategic advice and input across the company and on the senior executive team.
- Ability to lead in an environment of constant change.
- Experience working in a flexible, employee empowering work environment. Structured or large company experience will not work here.
- Familiarity and skill with the tools of the trade in human resources including HRIS, Microsoft Office suite of products, file management, and benefits administration.
- Experience in organization development and change management.
- Experience in multiple locations and globally is a plus.
High Level Overview of Job Requirements - Human Resources Director:
The selected human resources director must be able to perform effectively in each of these areas:
- Guides and manages the overall provision of Human Resources services, policies, and programs for the entire company.
- Overall talent management strategy including workforce planning; recruiting; hiring; training and development; performance planning, management, and improvement; and succession planning.
- Organization development, change management initiatives, and company-wide environment for employees.
- Oversee employment law compliance and compliance to regulatory concerns.
- Demonstrated proficiency in policy development, documentation, and implementation.
- Oversees employee safety, welfare, wellness and health.
- Responsible for community outreach and communication, and charitable giving.
- Managing external employment agencies, recruiters, and temporary staffing agencies.
- Analysis of the effectiveness of all human resources efforts.