The following sample job interview questions about communication enable you to assess your candidate’s skills in communication. Feel free to use these job interview questions in your own candidate interviews.
- You attend a weekly staff meeting with your supervisor. How have you ensured, in the past, that the information you have received is communicated to your reporting staff and coworkers?
- Information you believe to be untrue or confidential has reached you via the grapevine. What actions have you taken in the past to take care of situations such as this when communication is out of control?
- Give me an example, from your past work experiences, about a time when you were part of a project or team and you never knew what was happening with the other action items or participants. How did you handle this situation?
- Rate your communication skills on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 representing excellent communication skills. Give me three examples from your past work experiences that demonstrate the selected number is accurate.
- Describe the work environment or culture and its communication style in which you experience the most success.
- Describe five things about the communication within an organization that must be present for you to work most effectively?
- How often do you believe it is necessary to withhold information from staff members who report to you? Would you say you do this regularly, not often, or never? Under what circumstances do you limit communication in your experience?
- When you have had a boss, in the past, who fails to adequately communicate with you, how have you handled this?
- When you have entered a new workplace in the past, describe how you have gone about meeting and developing relationships with your new coworkers, supervisors, and reporting staff.
Communication Job Interview Question Answers
Pay attention to how your candidate interacts with people such as the receptionist. This observation, in addition to your own observation of the candidate's level of comfort with communication during the interview, is key. You can observe much about the candidate's communication style during the interview.
How articulate is the candidate? How clearly does the candidate communicate? How easily does the candidate select words to use to answer questions? Notice the non-verbal communication and the facial expressions as well. Does the candidate radiate sincerity and energy? Is the candidate genuiely interested in your company and the open job? You can learn much about whether to hire the candidate from the candidate's non verbal communication.
Sample Job Interview Questions for Employers
Use these sample job interview questions when you interview potential employees.
- Job Interview Questions for Employers (With Descriptions)
- Interview Questions to Assess Cultural Fit
- Motivation Job Interview Questions
- Teams and Teamwork Job Interview Questions
- Leadership Job Interview Questions
- Interpersonal Skills Job Interview Questions
- Management and Supervisory Skill Job Interview Questions
- Communication Job Interview Questions
- Empowerment Job Interview Questions
- Planning Job Interview Questions
- Decision Making Job Interview Questions
- Unusual Job Interview Questions
- Interview Questions That Can Cause Legal Problems
- Reader Submitted: Favorite Job Interview Questions