Human Resource Development (HRD) is the framework for helping employees develop their personal and organizational skills, knowledge, and abilities. Human Resource Development includes such opportunities as employee training, employee career development, performance management and development, coaching, mentoring, succession planning, key employee identification, tuition assistance, and organization development.
The focus of all aspects of Human Resource Development is on developing the most superior workforce so that the organization and individual employees can accomplish their work goals in service to customers.
Organizations have many opportunities for human resources or employee development, both within and outside of the workplace.
Human Resource Development can be formal such as in classroom training, a college course, or an organizational planned change effort. Or, Human Resource Development can be informal as in employee coaching by a manager. Healthy organizations believe in Human Resource Development and cover all of these bases.
More About Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Management OneStop: HR Site Overview
- Human Resources Management Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Book Reviews for Human Resources Management
More About Careers in Human Resource Management
- So, You Think You Want a Career in Human Resource Management?
- Beginning a Career in Human Resource Management
- Mid-career Change and Mid-career Development in Human Resource Management
- Later Career Change and Later Career Development in Human Resource Management
- Career Success in Human Resource Management