Want to boost employee morale in your organization? Here's how you can bolster morale.
Employee morale describes the overall outlook, attitude, satisfaction, and confidence that employees feel at work. When employees are positive about their work environment and believe that they can meet their most important needs at work, employee morale is positive or high. If employees are negative and unhappy about their workplace, and feel unappreciated and as if they cannot satisfy their goals and needs, employee morale is negative or low.
Employee morale is defined by the employee's outlook, optimism, self-concept, and assured belief in themselves and their organization, its mission, goals, defined path, daily decisions, and employee appreciation. Faith in self and faith in their organization are both important factors in positive employee morale.
Improve Employee Morale
Factors that can contribute to positive employee morale include, but are not limited, to these. Almost anything you do that contributes to a positive work environment for employees helps to build employee morale. When you take care of factors such as these, employee morale can remain high even in turbulent, uncertain times.
- treating employees with respect,
- providing regular employee recognition,
- empowering employees,
- offering open and regular communication about factors important to employees,
- providing feedback and coaching,
- offering above industry-average benefits and compensation,
- providing employee perks and company activities, and
- positively managing employees within a success framework of goals, measurements, and clear expectations.
You can measure your organization's success in developing and fostering positive employee morale by using the methods described in measuring employee satisfaction. Building positive employee morale is not difficult, but it takes desire, commitment, and attention on the part of management and the organization.