Job applicants who are not selected for an interview deserve a rejection letter. As a job applicant, nothing is worse than hearing nothing from a prospective employer. Here is a sample job applicant rejection letter for the people you don't select for a job interview. Use this sample job applicant rejection letter as a template to develop your own job applicant rejection letter.
Face it, for every job you post, you will receive more applications than you can handle. Responding to all of these job applicants is time consuming. But your response marks you as a desirable employer of choice. Your response encourages a potential employee to apply again when you post a position for which the applicant may qualify.
Use this job applicant rejection letter to notify job applicants that they have not been selected for an interview. This allows your job applicants to move on. Since many of these applications arrive in email, a job applicant rejection letter via email is acceptable.
Name of Applicant
City, State, Zip Code
Dear (Applicant's Name):
Thank you for your application for the position of shipping coordinator at DLT Industries. As you can imagine, we received a large number of applications. I am sorry to inform you that you have not been selected for an interview for this position.
The DLT selection committee thanks you for the time you invested to apply for the shipping coordinator position. We encourage you to apply for future openings for which you qualify.
Best wishes for a successful job search. Thank you, again, for your interest in our company.
Real Person's Name and Signature
Example: HR Director for the DLT Employee Selection Team
Disclaimer – Please Note:
Susan Heathfield makes every effort to offer accurate, common-sense, ethical Human Resources management, employer, and workplace advice both on this website, and linked to from this website, but she is not an attorney, and the content on the site, while authoritative, is not guaranteed for accuracy and legality, and is not to be construed as legal advice.
The site has a world-wide audience and employment laws and regulations vary from state to state and country to country, so the site cannot be definitive on all of them for your workplace. When in doubt, always seek legal counsel or assistance from State, Federal, or International governmental resources, to make certain your legal interpretation and decisions are correct. The information on this site is for guidance, ideas, and assistance only.
Standard Application Acknowledgement Letter
More About Sample Candidate Rejection Letters
- See a standard applicant rejection letter that you use to respond to applicants who are not as qualified as the applicants you decide to interview.
- See another sample, simple rejection letter sample for applicants whom you reject without an interview.
- Here is another sample rejection letter for applicants whom you choose not to invite for an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who did not appear to be a good fit for your company culture.
- See another sample rejection letter for use when you’d like the candidate to interview for a different job in your company.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate you hope applies again in the future: good cultural fit.
- Find another sample rejection letter for an applicant whom you hope reapplies in the future.
- This is a rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a first interview.
- Find a sample rejection letter for a candidate who is rejected following an interview.
- Here is a sample rejection letter for a candidate who was not selected following a second interview.
- Find out more about how to write job candidate rejection letters.
Letters for Successful Candidates
What if the candidate you are contacting was successful in his or her application? Following are sample job offer letters to let the candidate know the good news.
Sample Job Offer Letters
- Sample Employment Offer Letter (Standard Early-to-Mid-Career)
- Early Career: Sample Job Offer Letter
- Mid-Career Sample Job Offer Letter
- Executive Sample Job Offer Letter
- Sales Representative Sample Job Offer Letter
- Generic or Standard Sample Job Offer Letter