Looking for help and samples to assist you to craft a mission statement that resonates and inspires? Both people and organizations need to establish a mission statement within a strategic framework to experience significant success. Identifying and sharing your mission statement, vision, values, strategies, goals and plans will engage your employees and fuel your future accomplishments. Here's what a mission statement entails and sample mission statements to help you develop your mission statement.
What Is a Mission Statement?
Mission or Purpose is a precise description of what an organization does. The mission should describe the business the organization is in. The mission is a definition of why the organization exists currently. If the mission has been assimilated and integrated into your company culture, each member of your organization should be able to verbally express this mission. Each employee's actions should demonstrate the mission statement in action.
Your company or organization mission or purpose is most frequently expressed and shared as a mission statement.
Personal Mission Statement
Additionally, each person needs a mission for his or her life. The alignment of your life mission with your organization’s mission is one of the key factors in whether you are happy with your work and workplace. If your personal and organizational mission statements are congruent, you are most likely happy with your work choice. Take the time to develop your mission statement for your own life; compare your personal mission statement with the mission statement of your organization. Do the mission statements meld?
Mission Statement Samples
These are examples of mission statements that have been developed and shared with the public.
- "Our goal is simply stated. We want to be the best service organization in the world." (IBM Mission Statement)
- "FedEx is committed to our People-Service-Profit Philosophy. We will produce outstanding financial returns by providing totally reliable, competitively superior, global, air-ground transportation of high-priority goods and documents that require rapid, time-certain delivery." (Federal Express Mission Statement)
- "To give ordinary folk the chance to buy the same thing as rich people." (Wal-Mart Mission Statement)
- "Our vision is to be earth's most customer centric company; to build a place where people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online." (Amazon.com Mission Statement)
- "Our mission is to earn the loyalty of Saturn owners and grow our family by developing and marketing U.S.-manufactured vehicles that are world leaders in quality, cost, and customer enthusiasm through the integration of people, technology, and business systems." (Saturn Mission Statement)
- "In order to realize our Vision, our Mission must be to exceed the expectations of our customers, whom we define as guests, partners, and fellow employees.(mission) We will accomplish this by committing to our shared values and by achieving the highest levels of customer satisfaction, with extraordinary emphasis on the creation of value. (strategy) In this way we will ensure that our profit, quality and growth goals are met." (Westin Hotels and Resorts Mission Statement)
I'll add mission statements as I encounter solid examples. Your nominations of mission statements that appeal to you are welcome: Email Me.
Related to Mission Statement
- How to Make Strategic Planning Work
- Create Your Personal Vision Statement
- Readers Share Their Life Vision
- Identify and Live Your Personal Values
- Franklin-Covey Mission Statement Builder