1. Money
Susan M. Heathfield

Does Wearing Panty Hose Matter?

By April 9, 2014

On the subject of attire for work, here's another issue that goes around, comes around, every year - panty hose - or the lack thereof. So, every year, I resurrect my polls.

While we're talking about what employees ought to wear to work in a variety of settings, I'd like to bring up hose or panty hose. Let's start with an eighteen year old's perspective.

As a college student, my colleague's daughter has declared that never in her life will she wear hose or panty hose - never. Bare legs with dresses or pants rule the day. As a result of her insistence, I began to notice at professional business meetings whether women wore hose - or not, any more.

I figured it was a generational thing and that the non-hose wearers would all be young. But, I attended a state Chamber of Commerce professional dinner where many women wore dresses; it was a fancy affair. No one I saw under age thirty-five or so had hose on - bare legs ruled the evening.

A couple of lessons for me here: hosiery companies better plan to diversify or they will go the same route as buggy whip companies. A second question arose. Can company dress codes specify hose? Should they? I almost think of it as discrimination in 2014.

In a business casual or casual work environment, almost no one wears dresses or skirts, but in a formal dress code workplace, is the no hose look going to fly? With the next generations of women, the answer is yes.

But, will the no hose look work for men and women currently working and hiring new employees? I'd like to find out. Please take a moment to respond to my quick polls. If you have thoughts on the subject, please share them in comments.

You might also be interested to see what job searchers think about panty hose. Alison Doyle ran a poll to find out that produced some interesting comments and opinions.

Vote in more polls. Share opinions.

More About Dress Codes

Comments
September 26, 2009 at 7:28 pm
(1) HS says:

As a Federal worker, I’m not a big fan of wearing the business suit with no hose. There are dresses that are casual enough to not wear hose, which are fine if you have no obligations outside the office, but hose make a business suit look more professional. I wear them because I know I need to. My legs are white and have some scars from falling when I was young. I’m also more comfortable in them than not. Sometimes I wish others would feel that way when they look in the mirror. Panty hose also are a good way to hide those panty lines or make a tighter skirt look smoother.

September 27, 2009 at 8:45 am
(2) Patricia Kulcsar-Lesso says:

I worked for a company that had (now don’t smirk) a no laughing rule in the hallways and a “sock” patrol. No rule in panty hose but all shoe wearers must wear socks. As the HR generalist I was assigned “sock” patrol. Of course when HR managment was gone for the day the joke in the office was that someone would in a very loud voice announce “laughter or sock” patrol on the prowl.

What ever is needed for a polished look (translates) professional. If meeting the public, representing the company, the company may require footwear/leg cover in my opinion.

In these economic times though, my thoughts are how about using time,energy and talents for more important things like staying afloat. keeping your people productive and happy (is that an oxymoron) and being aware of the mood of your external and internal customers. Socks no socks, leggings, stockings-personal choice.

Done in good taste (again whose version of good taste) does it matter????

August 16, 2011 at 10:24 am
(3) Binky says:

I never could figure out why woman are so big on the “no socks” look. I think it looks so skanky when the have their raw feet sticking in their shoes. Especially when it’s cold out.
Young girls are the worst. They want to dress like they’re home on a Sunday.

Bumpy, tendon ridden feet sticking in shoes. Can we all say The Flintstones?

I never found it comfortable either. Sweaty, clammy feet in shoes. Real attractive.
Socks and hosiery definitely spice up and outfit. They tie the clothing to the shoe and smooth out the look.

September 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(4) Carol says:

Professional dress isn’t dictated by what happens on the red carpet, and this is where the trend of not wearing pantihose began.

Frankly, very few women can pull off the “no nylons” look in that unless they tan regularly, the color of most women’s legs resemble that of the underside of a deceased fish. Additionally, the nylons cover, disguise, or minimize uneven skin tone, dry skin, patchy skin, large pores, vericose veins, spider veins, nicks and cuts from shaving, missed hairs when shaving, etc. The nylons complement the professional look.

September 28, 2009 at 6:42 am
(5) MJ says:

I feel wearing hose with either slacks or a skirt finishes the way I look. That is for me. In summer when I wear sandles to work with slacks, I don’t wear hose. I do feel it finishes off the look and yes it looks more professional.

September 28, 2009 at 8:58 am
(6) Virginia says:

Here is another way to look at the subject matter: If you paint a beautiful portrait of someone, would you just leave the portrait up against the wall, or would you shop for the best frame and matting for the portrait & then hang the portrait on the wall? Same thing for dressing for success on the job….the hoisery just finishes the picture. I agree with MJ & Carol in their comments about hoisery. Also….no hoisery in those cold winter months…really? Also….from a health point of view, some women need & should wear support hoisery for better circulation in their legs. Yes, there is a time & place for no hoisery, ex: hot-humid weather & if the employer has a more relaxed summer role for sandles & no hoisery.

September 28, 2009 at 9:08 am
(7) Ellen Red says:

The one major area you have overlooked is how attractive the perosn’s legs are.
I see many women with very nice looking legs, soft nicely cared for skin and feet ans a nice skirt length.
Too often i see scaley rough skin, with spots and
skin that is not cared for with rough brow looking knees.
Please don’t assume because it is allowed,everyone looks attractive and they have gone to teh extra mile of taking care of their skin. Whe an older women comes to a meeting with a shorter skirt, folds crosses her legs and reveals old scaled skin, brown knees ans adn celulite on their legs the image presented does nothing for their professional image but detract from it adn put her judgement in question. Why would a woman in a posititon of authority undermine herself with such a distraction.
It truly is not a gender thing but a comon sense things –
just like a man that has hair coming out of his nose and ears, don’t do it because you can.

September 28, 2009 at 9:11 am
(8) Donna says:

Early in my work life, I found that I itched and got sweaty wearing panty hose. Since them, I almost never wear them. Not everyone can wear them and no one should be forced to either. If one is professionally dressed, no one notices the lack of stockinged legs (panty hose or not); if you wear them and you are not professionally dressed, no one notices them. Its not about the panty hose.

September 28, 2009 at 9:21 am
(9) Virginia says:

I feel I must comment again about itchy hoisery & uncomfortable issues with hoisery. I once had an individual tell me that she could not wear panty hose to work because of some allergic problems. We compromised….”Thigh High” hoisery worked well. When she wore those longer, more casual skirts, she wore ‘knee highs’ & they worked quite well for her, so much so that other employees copied the idea & it was a hit! Where there is a will, there is a way.

September 28, 2009 at 10:25 am
(10) MM says:

If men had to wear pantyhose and heels to work, it would have been abolished years ago.

July 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm
(11) Peter Cook says:

Are you saying that you have given it up M&M. Nobody told me.

September 28, 2009 at 1:11 pm
(12) Sasha says:

I once worked for a company who’s only dress code was that pantyhose/stocking must be worn with open toed shoes.

I believe it really depends on the type of business you are in and what type of environment it is.

I do believe that when interviewing, regardless of the type of job or the environment, panty hose are a must unless you are wearing a pant suit and closed toe shoes that will let you get away with it. When interviewing, you should dress to the utmost to show the company that you can look ultra-professional, even if your day-to-day doesn’t require it. An interview is not just the position you are interviewing for but subsequent positions you may work. A good HR person will envision their interviewee in other positions and/or capacities and showing up in less than a suit or a very professional dress can damage your marketability.

September 28, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(13) Valerie says:

My feeling is that you should always err on the side of being over-dressed for an interview, which to me means covering your legs either with hose or pants. Bare legs at anytime of year are not appropriate for an interview. Once you are hired then wear whatever as long as its according to the dress code. Living in the Northeast I don’t see how you can go bare legged all year but I definitely feel that nylon should be illegal after 80 degrees.

September 28, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(14) Laura says:

I really believe that few women can get away with a “hose-less” look. Unless abundant time is spent in tanning salons, pedicures done on a weekly basis and one is not in a sundress, then wear the hose! I have teenage girls and I work with teenagers and even they know that there are times when pantihose, thighhose or even knee-hi’s finish off the look.

I went to a bridal shower several months ago and the bride-to-be was in a couture, very dressy dress outfit and when I looked down, her legs were as white as her high heels. Fortunately, the heels weren’t as splotchy as the legs. Needless to say, the look was ruined.

In an interview, yes, I would notice whether or not pantihose were worn. If she qualified for the job, she would get the job despite her lack of fashion-sense.

September 28, 2009 at 3:39 pm
(15) EW says:

My wife and I were both Army officers. My wife enjoyed the days she was able to wear her “Class A” uniform (jacket and skirt / pants) and our evenings in formal attire. Our assignments included 10 years in Europe,living in Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands. We also traveled to most of the other western europe countries. Throughout europe, there was a definite age break in what women wore to work. Older than 30 and pantyhose was the style. Younger, and bare feet were the norm.

September 29, 2009 at 5:09 am
(16) Jody says:

Pantyhose just give a more finished look to business attire. If a woman has smooth, nice looking legs then by all means wear those light summery outfits sans hose, but if you are a bit lumpy, have varicose veins, and legs that are woefully pale, wear the pantyhose. I just can’t imagine wearing anything other than sandals without hosery between me and the shoe.

September 29, 2009 at 9:09 am
(17) JRM says:

I am 35 years old and live in South Carolina. I definitely do not know of anyone that still wears hose, not even my mom. People should dress appropriately period. If you have bad skin, varicose veins, unkempt feet…no one wants to see them even under hose, wear pants or long skirts! Having stark white skin paired with suntan colored hoes is just about the tackiest and most unprofessional look that there is. And don’t tell me that you can’t see varicose veins and heels that need a sandblaster through hoes. I would be interested to see a regional breakdown on the poll….Southeast, Northeast, Northwest, etc…I think there would be a big difference between regions.

October 2, 2009 at 1:11 pm
(18) Kathy says:

I live and work in southwest Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. Not only do most women wear sandals and no pantyhose, it has become increasingly difficult to find them in stores. JC Penney used to have a whole hosiery department; now they have one small display.

I personally think that dress clothes and shoes without pantyhose is a very unprofessional and unfinished look.

October 6, 2009 at 4:35 am
(19) ro says:

coming from a consumer i DO notice how the people whom i am going to hand my hard earned money to are dressed,,i am also a people watcher,,only 1% of the female population have the legs to pull off the “bare leg” look,,and it surely does NOT belong in a profesional setting,,
have you been out in public lately?? women have just gotten lazy in how they look to the outside world in my oppinion,,, wearing their pajamas to the stores while shoping for milk,,and fliflops belong on the beach ONLY,,,
theres a reason why the rest of the world still wears something on their legs,,its becasue they CARE about how they look,,,
and dont give me the excuse that its to hot for pantyhose,,do you work in an air conditioned building??? then its not to hot for sheer tights as they are now calling them,,,
isnt it amazing at how this little piece of material has caused such a major uproar in just American society????in the rest of the world its not even given a second thought,,women just wear pantyhose/tights because its just how it is,,and you look better in them…
Wearing pantyhose completes an outfit and brings life and elegance to bare skin…..
and by the way,,i AM male and i DO wear pantyhose and heels everyday,,,i only wish i had a job that would let me wear them to work,,as walking around in heels HELPS my lower back to not hurt me and heels do make ones legs look shapelier,,why you ask?? well i just dont think its fair that only women get to wear the fun clothes,,,
its the 21st century folks,,time to crawl out of the caves,,,

October 6, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(20) Noelle says:

I am 32 and I do not wear panty hose. I do, however, wear knee-high hose/socks or trouser socks with skirts and most pants. I find that it finishes the professional look. I also find that when I look the part, it’s easier to act the part. I “feel” more professional when I look professional. If I wore shorter skirts I would most likely feel the need to buy a pair or two of panty hose. However I prefer longer skirts for work.

October 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm
(21) Andie says:

I don’t wear pantyhose, ever. It is impossible for me to find a pair that will fit without spending way more money than I can afford. They are uncomfortable and do not help disguise panty lines unless they are super thick.

Bottom line: If a job interviewer is going to pass me over because I won’t wear pantyhose, I wouldn’t want to work there anyway.

October 6, 2009 at 2:43 pm
(22) Jane says:

I am employed in a small, fast paced industrial business as the part time HR manager and production manager. When I’m driving a fork lift, hauling boxes or greasing a lathe, I wear Carhartts. If I’m called to met a sales prospect or to deal with a management issue, I change into blouse,skirt and pantyhose. This metamorphosis has nothing to do with company rules (we don’t have the luxury of sparing the time to make any) or bondage slavery to the tastes of the male; My bare legs simply look awful, like most women after the age of 35.
I don’t feel oppressed or subjugated by male dominated rules. I just need to know when the client is discussing contract terms, she is not critiquing the pair of white spindly sticks below my hem line.
I do wish working women would get off their soapboxes and consider their identies: women first, workers second.
And if you are going to stand that high, wear some stockings! Dang!

October 6, 2009 at 3:03 pm
(23) Katie says:

@ Carol:

I agree that nylons create a more polished and professional look, but as a very fair-skinned woman, I disagree that ONLY women who tan regularly should go without hose. First of all, with a family history of skin cancer, I know the dangers of UV rays. Secondly, self-tanner just looks unnatural on me. It frustrates and disappoints me that some people in our society still expect others to conform to society’s ideas of beauty, or cover up! My red hair and fair skin is beautiful, and we as a society need to stop preaching that only tall, thin, and tan is beautiful. This country is a melting pot, and beauty comes in all forms!

That said, I am 25 and know that wearing hose is sometimes necessary. Not because of my genetics, but to compliment thin fabrics and to minimize panty lines, both of which can be distracting, and to create a more polished and “covered up” look. The same goes for wearing a slip under certain dresses and skirts. There are many young women of my generation who skip the hose and slip, and while may be considered “sexy,” it is inappropriate for the office and can be distracting and disruptive. Proper, appropriate undergarments should be worn by both men and women at all times; unfortunately some of my generation does not follow this rule. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s anyone’s place, much less my employer’s, to tell me what undergarments I should be wearing!

October 6, 2009 at 5:04 pm
(24) jkr says:

Pantyhose may look more “finished” than bare legs, with a dress or skirt-suit; on the other hand, they’re uncomfortable for most women, and (given how often they run/tear/wear out) a significant expense for anybody not bringing home an executive-level paycheck.

To those who say women with un-tanned legs, or cellulite, or whatever look ugly or less professional, or (God help us all) “undermine their authority”–please consider: would you say the same of a man you found cosmetically unappealing? Doubtful; except in cases of really gross personal hygiene, men’s job performance is judged by what they do rather than by their appearance. That’s the standard that should apply to everyone, no matter what the beholder’s aesthetic sense requires.

October 7, 2009 at 2:42 am
(25) Don says:

I am a man and I offer an opinion. I have been employed in upper management where everyone is supposed to follow some rule of appearance. I don’t ever recall paying attention to whether a woman had panty hose on but I have always noticed how neat an professional she looked. The person who said “job performance is judged by what they do rather than by their appearance” is wrong. If a prospective employee is invited to a dinner with the CEO and he eats and sounds like a pig, he has destroyed his chances. By the same token, if a woman looks sloppy in a professionl position it isn’t good. You women know what looks high quality. I think even a young lady working in the mail room who looks neat and attractive gets much more respect than one who looks like a slob. Men are too fond of wearing a dress shirt and tie all day long either but it does look nice. When you reach a point that you dress sloppy because you need to demonstrate your independence, that’s a shame. YOU know if panty hose are appropriate to looking nice and if that’s the case, WEAR THEM!

October 7, 2009 at 3:13 am
(26) Erin says:

I was in the banking industry for a time, and the dress code was very specific for both men and women, and did require women to wear hose, whether they were in slacks or skirts. I was 23 when I began working in banking, and I hated hose. I had a severe allergic reaction to it after wearing it every day for several months and was still required to wear it even after I was told my allergy was to the hose itself. While I do feel that it is well within a company’s best interests to require that employees dress in a professional manner, I do not feel that it is appropriate for a company to regulate the undergarments a woman chooses to wear. If she can’t wear hose for some reason, then so be it, compromise and only wear pants, or something. It was outrageous to be expected to wear something that caused a medical reaction for the sake of “professionality”.

October 7, 2009 at 12:23 pm
(27) Cynthia says:

Are you serious? This was settled quite some time ago. Pantyhose went the way of the dinosaur. MUCH older women or those who can’t/won’t change their ways still wear pantyhose. – and believe me, our HR notes those who can’t adapt. We don’t hire those who wear pantyhose because it marks them as inflexible. I’m 50 and haven’t worn pantyhose in over 5 years. If you, personally, can’t adapt, at least stop trying to hold the rest of the world to your terms.

October 8, 2009 at 8:50 am
(28) kim says:

Cynthia, are you serious that you don’t hire women who wear pantyhose because that means they are inflexible? That’s a sad commentary on your HR department. Even if she’s carrying a iPhone or has on a new fashion trend? Not all women wear them because of some old-fashioned dress requirement. Many people have already commented on cosmetic reasons why women wear them. It’s sad that your company has made this insignificant item of apparel a liability.

October 8, 2009 at 9:39 am
(29) kellyb says:

in 2007 our bank finally did away with the ‘hose’ policy for women; not because of some pending discrimination suit, but because the execs. decided it was time to get with the times. surprisingly, most women still wore them to work. being under 40 myself, i only own one pair and take them out only when the weather turns chilly. i don’t feel ‘old’ when i wear them to work, and i certainly don’t feel ‘under-dressed’ when i don’t! hooray for freedom of choice!!!

October 8, 2009 at 10:52 am
(30) Jen says:

The bank I work at still has that panty hose is required for our dress code. I don’t wear it. I am a young professional and there is nothing wrong with my legs (spider veins, dry skin, etc.) If I have a giant bruise on my leg, or haven’t shaved in a while, I know better than to wear a skirt. The dress code doesn’t tell men what kind of underwear they have to wear… it’s practicly the same thing. Panty hose is most impracticle garment ever made. It is near impossible not to get a “run” by the end of the day on a new pair.

October 8, 2009 at 2:17 pm
(31) Don says:

I wrote earlier but I have to comment again. For all you ladies I need to tell you that most men think women are the most beautiful thing God created and they enjoy admiring them and that happens to be one of the reasons for my comments. Women need to take pride in their feminine appearance if they care what people think. If you don’t care what people think, and I’m sure a lot of women don’t, then so be it. If I see a woman who takes care to look good I appreciate it. If you want to come to work in a skirt, open toed shoes and you have unhappy looking legs and feet then that would be your choice but don’t expect people to admire you. I don’t know how much difference panty hose makes in your particular appearance but you know. Perhaps management should demand that women dress attractive and professionally rather than tell them exactly what they have to wear. If a man demands that he isn’t going to wear a dress shirt and tie in a responsible and professional position, he isn’t going to make it. He can crow about his independent viewpoint all he likes but he won’t sway the general opinion.

And the lady that said the dress code doesn’t tell men what kind of underwear they have to wear doesn’t acknowledge that men’s “underwear” (unlike pantyhose) isn’t part of their visible dress.

Come on ladies! If you look nicer with panyhose on then wear them.

The dress code doesn’t tell men what kind of underwear they have to wear…

October 9, 2009 at 12:51 am
(32) Tommy says:

so now its about how nice a woman’s legs are that decides if they wear panty hose or not?

The main point of dress codes at work is to look professional, not pretty, beautiful, etc. While yes men enjoy looking at nice looking women, same goes for the reverse.

will we ask men with poor face shapes and jaw lines to grow out facial hair to make it better for the women?

October 9, 2009 at 1:25 am
(33) AD says:

I have to chime in here. I am a business owner. I require my staff members to dress in a semi casual/professional manner.

I will have it noted in the employee manual that if you wear a skirt, hosiery is required. If you wear dress slacks with heels/open toe or not, you have a choice of hosiery or trouser socks. Men don’t wear slacks and shoes without socks and neither will you.

If you say, “You have a “problem” with hosiery or you outright “don’t wear” hosiery, then it was nice meeting you, have a nice day.

When someone cares about their appearance, then they care about what they do and who they represent.

If you’re that lazy, or just don’t care how you dress, find a job where you can get away with flip flops and pajama pants.

October 9, 2009 at 1:32 am
(34) AD says:

To add, I hate shaving. It’s time consuming. Sometimes I nick my face/neck. But… I shave because it finishes off my appearance. I don’t know too many people that like a grizzly look on a business professional.

Just like hosiery on a woman. It finishes the appearance.

October 9, 2009 at 8:54 am
(35) Don says:

Well put AD !

October 9, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(36) mPaula says:

I once worked with a woman who had a doctor’s note that said she could not wear pantyhose (some women are susceptible to vaginal infections) so she went barelegged. She did have nice legs.

Another woman I knew wore long skirts to make it less obvious that she wasn’t wearing hose.
I wore skirts and pantyhose during my school years but my profession allows me to wear trousers/suits so I don’t have to worry about my legs.
For those that advocate bare legs, what would you say about women who don’t shave their legs? Do they have the same right/privilege to go without hose?

October 10, 2009 at 1:57 pm
(37) chaz says:

My girlfriend is a Senior VP in a major bank and never wears panty hose or any type of stockings with her shoes. In the winter she wears boots. This has not impeded her career in any way – she always dresses very professional. As women from her generation (she is 38) achieve senior positions, this requirement for hose will fade away completely.

October 15, 2009 at 6:12 am
(38) Ged says:

We are, as we all know, in one of the worst economic downturns in history.

Was it caused by women wearing/not wearing hose in the workplace?

Come on, let’s try and find our long lost sense of perspective.

October 20, 2009 at 5:38 pm
(39) Loribeth says:

I do not consider myself inflexible because I wear panty hose in professional settings. I think it looks more polished, it also makes my suits and dresses look and fit better.

I buy the more expensive panty hose, $9.00 per pair. They do not wear out, run or snag like the cheap kind. I buy six pair at a time (usually when they are on sale) and rotate them. I wash each pair by hand when I wear them. Believe it or not, I have panty hose that are more than a year old without a single run or snag in them. I probably pay less money for my hose than others who buy the cheap kind that run the first time they wear them. Another added benefit to buying the more expensive hose is they are more comfortable than the cheaply made nylons.

In a casual setting I will go bare legged, but for work, I will always wear hose. Whether you have good legs or not, you should consider your appearance when you are representing the company you work for.

And for the record… I have fantastic legs and could easily pull of no-stocking, but I choose look professional.

October 25, 2009 at 7:23 pm
(40) AP says:

I agree with Don. Also, when I am interviewing, if a candidate is not concerned with their appearence (Suit and Tie for Men, professional dress/pants suit with HOSE, not socks and certainly not bare for women) they get a pass from me…especially during tough economic times. I also don’t like it when certain organizations where certain organizations require men to wear a shirt and tie, but women can wear just about anything. I do not consume their services as I feel it is DOUBLE STANDARD.

October 27, 2009 at 12:11 am
(41) Sarah says:

I think the question is about what constitutes professional dress on a woman. This varies from region to region and from company to company; however, there are some universal standards: flip-flops, miniskirts, pajama pants, etc. will not be considered professional in any setting. Nice, open-toed heels are acceptable in some professional settings, but not in others. Pantyhose, fashion-wise, went out of style a long time ago. And although the professional world is not beholden to the whims of the runway, I think it’s about time it caught up to the rest of the world in terms of hosiery.

If a woman feels better wearing hose, there’s nothing wrong with that. However, a woman can still look professional and put-together without them. Because it’s currently a contentious subject, it’s unfortunate that the presence or lack of hosiery on an interviewee can make or break whether or not she is hired, regardless of the rest of her appearance.

October 31, 2009 at 9:48 am
(42) michael says:

Hello I’M a male age 41, name is Michael from Macomb, MI. I started to wear women’s & men’s hosiery at 18 I think you look more dressed up in a nice sheer knee hi or full hosiery.. now you are asking your self pantyhose during the summer no from fall to summer then I war a knee hi’s. in sheer tan or black or pattern with all my pants dress or jeans….

January 6, 2010 at 5:45 am
(43) Allis says:

I feel it should be left to the individual concerned to wear it or not as Panty Hose is treated (mostly) as undergarments. You can’t prescribe the dress code for undergarments.

June 21, 2010 at 1:22 am
(44) Ray Sadowski says:

With all due respect, ladies, stop whining about wearing pantyhose! Being “comfortable” at work has gotten out of hand. As previous commentators have said, maybe 1% of women’s legs can get away without the hose. Most women’s legs are not attractive and require the covering to balance the professional look. It’s as bad as if I wore a business suit or business casual clothes without socks. A women without hose is half-dressed. It just doesn’t cut it.
Too often, I’ve come upon women with odorous feet in pumps or other shoes. Those individuals are not included in my company projects or given another thought when promotions come down to equal qualifications. This includes behind the scene or administrative positions.
Everyone is looking to get ahead in their job, but presentation, aside from qualifications, are constantly looked at.
We are looking at dropping the “casual dress” day as employees have pushed the limit too far; this includes those not in contact with the customer. That means back to the professional dress code for all, including hosiery for the female employees.
We have not seen an increase in productivity with the business casual attire as other corporations have experienced the same. We are likely going to reverse direction and go back to professional dress for all employees, including hosiery/socks for all. This does not necessarily mean pantyhose; there are other options such as hold ups/thigh highs, or at the very least knee hi’s for pant suits. (Leave the stockings & garters for evening wear as it is very disruptive at work and that is not allowed).
Side note- our company is in the desert Southwest where it gets to up to 110 degrees four months of the year. Most business buildings are air-conditioned and very comfortable to work with; thus, heat is not a factor. If you work outside, then that’s another situation completely different.
My wife concurs with my evaluation; she has spent two careers working in the hotel and credit card industries.

August 30, 2010 at 9:51 pm
(45) Angelina says:

Actually…I think pantyhose are on the come back, moreover they add to whatever outfit you choose to wear. As far as some of the previous comments, – I am a successful woman in corporate America- stirring men up in the office can be empowering. Good luck.

May 21, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(46) KB says:

I interview for a medical office. The staff wear scrubs but the female doctors sometimes wear dresses, always without hose. When I interview a candidate for employment, I do notice whether they dress professionally. Some styles of dresses look very informal without hose or dressy shoes, and informal/unprofessional dress to an interview would be a significant strike against the candidate.

May 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm
(47) ERR says:

We are forgetting the elephant in the room. Not every woman has beautiful or even attractive legs.
Many women I have seen do not take care of their skin, have very unattractive veins and in many cases
Their legs give away more about their age than anything else.

If you have attractive, nicely shaped legs and you have taken good care of your skin, then yes, at any age don’t
wear nylons.
If you do not, then I don’t care how old you are, wear nylons.

If you choose to wear a very short dress and sit and cross your legs you are foolish not to wear nylons.

Your image is money, just like a man’s.

May 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm
(48) Vicki says:

I am a 52 year old woman and have the same attitude as the 35 and under group! NO HOSE sometimes = No Hoes! I have seen some hose that would be inappropriate for a professional day time work environment….maybe okay for night-time professional work ;) . If a woman is wearing the proper shoes and length skirt or dress, the hose she choose not to wear is not an issue and most would hardly notice.

I say NO HOSE Necessary! (I do wear them in the winter for warmth)

May 24, 2011 at 9:00 am
(49) Barbara S says:

I suppose it depends on your environment. For years I worked in the hospitality industry where of course the managers and staff either wore uniforms or dressed professionally, I always had hose on under my slacks because it looked better to me. I would disagree with the no hose =hoes though, that’s judgmental and mean.
Now that I am employed in a non-retail manufacturing setting with job duties that include walking the factory floor (safety coordinator) I wear Jeans and sneakers to work everyday. It’s fabulous! The entire office staff dresses in ultra casual jeans nice blouse and sneakers. We are a professional and comfortable bunch of gals.

June 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(50) DK says:

I own a small business. I do not care one way or the other who wears pantyhose. It is more important to find the job qualifications that if her toes are shown.

With that said, why require a clear piece of fabric that rips after 2 wears for an office where 2 people might see you a year?

I’ve seen all crazy rules in my years of working for others. More people have been sent home over shoes than ANY other violation.

People by nature HATE shoes. If someone in my sales office gets me 3-5 sales a day and wants to walk in my office barefoot – I personally do not care. I do that myself sometimes. Does it make my business more or less professional? Not at all.

July 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(51) Peter Cook says:

I offer some alternative advice on hose, underwear and other matters, as well as some rather good business advice in my book ‘Sex, Leadership and Rock’n'Roll’, acclaimed by Tom Peters.

November 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm
(52) Joe Average says:

I believe that it is not a matter of discrimination but plain and simple a matter of dress code and professionalism partially expressed through attire by male and female co-workers alike. I think there is no argument that a womans legs are generally simply more pleasing to the eye than a mans legs, so the bare legs in dress, skirt skort or whatever would be acceptable if similar leniency would be granted to men, but as a male worker in our firm, try wearing loafers without socks with your khakis and you will be reminded that sokcs are part of the daily, professional attire. – What’s good for the gender is good for the goose.

June 19, 2012 at 10:36 am
(53) gmcord says:

I’m a mid-50s Southern born and reared professional woman who started out in life wearing hose even with shorts in torrid summers. As a present to myself on my 50th birthday, I quit wearing hose once the temperature climbed above 75 degrees. Now the only time you’ll find me in hose is at a wedding, funeral, or formal presentation. Bare is in. My younger colleagues seldom, if ever, wear hose to work.

June 20, 2012 at 1:31 am
(54) ADALLARD says:

When women did wear pantyhose, I don’t think any of them made the choice of “Skin” colored pantyhose… and now I know why. Freakin GROSS. For god’s sake will you cover yourselves.

June 26, 2012 at 8:34 am
(55) brandi breon says:

First of all this topic is ridiculous and anyone that has any sense of fashion knows that panty hose are long in the past. A nice clean shaven leg is all you need if you want to wear a skirt. As a matter of fact I would consider the woman to have no fashion sense at all if I saw her wearing panty hose. Really People? The only timein this centry I have seen a girl wearing them was Kate Middleton and I thought she looked ridiculous. Now spanks they are a must need for some women and I respect women for wearing them.

July 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm
(56) AllenG says:

God I miss hose – those bare legs look horrid in the business world when a skirt is being worn. It’s like a dude wearing a blazer with shorts on. Eventually they will be back as one woman ultimately wants to look better than the next and any woman wearing hose looks better than one that isn’t.

July 25, 2012 at 9:48 am
(57) Roger says:

The issue goes way beyond hose. I worked at a children’s hospital in a medium sized southern city for almost a decade. For the professional staff, the dress code for men was non-casual pants, socks, and shoes. A polo style shirt was acceptable, but a shirt and tie was “strongly recommended.” Many (I would say the majority) of the women dressed inappropriately, e.g. bare legs, visible tattoos, dagger nails, plunging necklines, open toe and/or heel shoes, toe rings, cheap jewelry and too much of it, etc etc. etc. I am talking MDs and residents. I wanted to say to each and every one, “This is a hospital, not a casual garden party. You dress and talk like a BIMBO and I would never send my child to you in a million years because you present yourself as a pre-teen Jezebel. Grow up and dress the part of an adult in the workplace.” For women to drag out the “sexist” argument when the men’s dress code is far more regulated (and self-regulated) is disingenuous at best.

August 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(58) MDG says:

Wow with all the moronic complaints about pantyhose on this forum–too expensive, itchy, too warm, gross looking–I wonder how all the women in the 1980s were able to survive and seemed to very nicely. The truth is the casual workplace for attire has been taken too far especially for women. Why don’t you ladies just admit you are too cheap and lazy to wear hose? So it is old fashioned? Really, is that why NFL cheerleaders or Hooter’s girls wear them–because guys have a granny complex? What I don’t understand is how so many women over 30 got brainwashed into thinking they had great legs without hose. Sorry it just isn’t so for a vast majority of you!!!!!

August 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(59) Jeffrey says:

I think it is “great” that women go bare legged in the workplace. It is a total trashy look that screams that the lady is tacky and unprofessional–just the image people need of the company itself. Most women don’t have the legs to pull off the look so it creates an “in your face” type of appearance. I have never seen so many legs with scars, varicose veins, sun damage, hair stubble, spider veins, cellulite and other “attractive” features in my life. Sorry no amount of air brush tanning covers quite like pantyhose. With all the complaints you hear about pantyhose you wonder how women in the 1980s ever survived.

August 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(60) TH says:

As a 20 year old black woman about to enter a very traditional corporate work force, I do not believe in wearing pantyhose. Our First Lady doesn’t wear them and she still manages to look professional and modern. The longer the skirt, the less necessary hose become. Also, among my generation, it is entirely inappropriate to wear open-toe heels in an office environment. Pantyhose have become irrelevant and useless if you’re under the age of 40. The issue is generational.

October 3, 2012 at 12:25 am
(61) thomas says:

Boo to bare legs!! Woman and girls used to look so much better when they wore leg and footwear.
I feel like I’m on an episode of the Flintstones at work these days.
And when did flip flops become cool. Yuck!

Pantyhose please come back!!! :-(

October 3, 2012 at 4:39 am
(62) Gemma Maria says:

I am 37 and rarely wear hose or pantyhose, even in winter. I feel both more comfortable and fashion-conscious barelegged, whether I am wearing a trouser suit, long skirt, short skirt or dress. I usually wear fairly high heels, but also go barefoot in flats or boots.

October 3, 2012 at 2:58 pm
(63) Sally Kay says:

As the Pres. & CEO of The Hosiery Association, the nonprofit trade org representing the global legwear industry, I can assure you that hosiery and tights are far from obsolete. In 2011 sheer hosiery sales totaled over $1B in the U.S, which is good news for our country, as much of it is still made here. No one needs to choose yay or nay! Hosiery is a styling option. There have never been more products from which to choose – for everyday, for stylish, seasonal warmth in cooler weather, or for a particular fashion trend accessorizing occasion. If your workplace dress code dictates it, take heart. Many of our members offer a variety of hosiery products using the latest in innovative yarns and fibers that are comfortable and fashionable. These are not your grandmother’s stockings!
Sally Kay
President & CEO
The Hosiery Association
“Covering All Walks of Life”

October 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm
(64) TC says:

dumbest question ever on this post. No wonder corp America views HR with such disdain!

October 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(65) Bonny Burns says:

I think panty hose are a nice finishing look to a suit or dress. Yes some people can get away with it, but I think the look is good. Dress for sucess is my saying.

Flip flops, low cut tops etc, to me are a person who does not look into the mirror in the morning to come to the office. Self esteem is the key issue there.

October 26, 2012 at 8:04 am
(66) David says:

The thing that first attracted me to my wife of 37 years were her legs! She wore short skirts with pantyhose and high heels. Lucky for me, she still wears hose when dressed up, and still has great legs. I see ladies wearing heels without hose and agree with many that it is an “unfinished” look. Plus, it feels so gross to wear shoes without socks/hose, especially for extended periods of time. Ladies with nice legs wearing hose still turn my head! Sometimes, I even pay them a compliment…I hope ladies don’t mind an occasional compliment from a stranger.

October 29, 2012 at 1:03 am
(67) Brian W. says:

I think this issue of pantyhose depends on the type of work environment. If it’s a business formal or conservative setting wearing pantyhose is a must unless the weather is warm and hot. But if it’s business casual or a casual workplace setting, wearing pantyhose should be optional.

Some people say that wearing pantyhose is a generational issue due to the casualization of the workplace environment in the 1990s dot-com era, changing fashion trends in the entertainment and fashion industry, and excessive media from TV, movies, magazines, newspapers, and online through blogs, and social networks. It may be generational in America, but not in other parts of the world.

In Europe, (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Poland etc.), Asia (Japan, Korea, China etc.) and here in Canada, women in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and over 60 are still wearing pantyhose. Not only do they wear them to keep warm in the cold climate in some countries, but they consider it to be a culture and tradition of being feminine as opposed to it being a fashion statement or attracting men. In Japan, wearing nude pantyhose is mandatory in a business setting due to the country’s strict cultural society. Not wearing pantyhose would be a lack of manners, and an insult to Japanese society.

When I hear people tell others that nobody wear pantyhose anymore when that person is wearing, or poke fun at a celebrity when they are wearing hose especially with open toe shoes, they are showing a lack of respect towards that woman trying to dress classy, professional, and feminine in appearance. I am sure there are women in America, young and old, that still wear pantyhose, and are not bothered by the negativity towards it.

To me, this issue of wearing pantyhose shouldn’t just be a generational or cultural issue, it should a matter of preference.

November 3, 2012 at 8:44 am
(68) carol doughty says:

Well, if it’s ok for women to have bare legs at work then men should be allowed to wear shorts at work.

Too much bare anything at work can be just too much information! A layer of clothing provides a distance and dignity that befits any arena outside of the social.

November 11, 2012 at 9:56 am
(69) tbb says:

Women live in alternative universe when they think that at 45 – they’re legs look as good naked as they did when they were 18. Life has consequences and very few of them make us look better. That’s why there is hair color, make up and an endless supply of nail care and color. That’s also why women should wear hosiery and make their legs look great especially if they can find their own skin tone. I wear Frangi Pangi – http://www.myfrangipangi.com

December 7, 2012 at 12:36 am
(70) Sonny says:

Bare Legs = bumps, veins, zits, pores, lines, nicks, cuts, stubble, and major league spinal cringes at the thought of what must be a toe-jam packed party in a disgusting bare foot high heel… Freakin Yuck.

January 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm
(71) Danielle says:

Well, according to Stacy London & Clinton Kelly on What not to Wear. Skin colored pantyhose are out.. But appropriate pantyhose would include black, gray, brown. sheer, opaque etc. There are lots of options. In the summer especially, I think bare legs can be appropriate. I lived in California 10 years ago, and at that time, NO ONE wore skin toned pantyhose with a suit. Not even executives at Warner Bros. where I worked. And they wore nice suits.

March 7, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(72) Chrissy says:

Pantyhose still matter to some companies. In my case, they are required even with pants and heels are also mandatory. Companies are allowed to require hose and heels as long as they state this in the dress code and you know about it before being hired. My company states that pantyhose are to be worn at all times to project a professional and feminine image to our clients and for modesty purposes while wearing skirts and to make our clothes fit nicer. I can get by without wearing hose if I wear pants but I have to make sure that any part of my foot that might be visible – which is rare because my pants puddle on the floor over my shoes – is covered in obvious nylon. It’s a bummer but they do check our legs.

March 19, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(73) Steve says:

Professional dress = professional behavior …or at least has an impact. Compare the man in the office in a suit and tie, or the woman in the office in a suit (either pantsuit or hose to cover your skin flaws) to a 40% skin exposure. Over-nakedness doesn’t belong in the business world.

May 2, 2013 at 1:47 am
(74) EdwardT says:

Based on what I have seen of womens legs lately, I just don’t understand how they can leave the house without noticing how bad their legs look. I guess they dress for other women because as a man I can vouch it is a real turnoff

May 21, 2013 at 8:14 pm
(75) Steve says:

I was just at a wedding and 80% were Wilma Flintstones. At about 11 they took it a step further and took their shoes off to dance. They had black foot bottoms as the dirt from the floor clung to their feet. Absolutely disgusting, I had to leave. lol

July 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(76) Tina Fitts says:

In my opinion it is necessary to wear hose if I’m wearing dress shoes/heels. Hose should be worn in formal business settings. That said, companies shouldn’t be able to mandate a dress code to the point that they are telling us what undergarments to wear. Wear them or don’t wear them. It’s still a free country. For a little while, yet, anyway.

August 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm
(77) Gracetiti Fredson says:

You are all simply amazing and wonderful.
Do you know people in my country, Nigeria think ladies who wear hose to the office are trying to seduce the male colleague, etc.?
For some good reasons I wear hose to the office, church etc. and never kind off bother with what everyone has to say.
I didn’t think in other countries one must wear hose.
Information is really powerful.
Now I can inform un-informed in order to deliver them from being myopic

August 16, 2013 at 9:15 am
(78) Liz says:

I worked for a bank over 30 years. Yes mandatory hosiery was in the dress code along with business suits. Casual Friday was slacks and khakis (not cargo pants) for men with a sport jacket or sweater.

I think Katie Couric started this new trend. You can watch the national newscasters to see the latest trends and what is acceptable in the work place. It has become a casual world, we have lost our glamor.

No wonder they call us the “ugly Americans”. Just sit and look at people as they walk by. (ie. Pajamas to school, jogging cloths out to dinner.) The women don’t comb their hair or put on makeup even to go on a date. (I live near a college.)

PS. Men no longer wear ties with suits.

People ask me why I dress well for work. Well, I guess I just have pride in my appearance and it just makes me feel good.

August 16, 2013 at 9:32 am
(79) JA says:

I think pantyhose are disgusting. We are required to wear a skirt for 1/2 year and must wear pantyhose. I personally would wear slacks before a skirt and pantyhose.
1. They are not environmentally friendly. They go to landfills and just sit there.
2. You sweat in the them during summer months (when females are required to wear skirts). So you go home to shower and change just to be able to go back out. It’s been known that they cause yeast infections as well.
3. If you are looking at my legs long enough to notice if I wear pantyhose or not, then you are making me feel sexually harassed. It’s sickening to hear male colleagues say my legs look nice.
4. If you want my legs to be covered, then allow me to wear pants.
5. It’s 2013…wear it if you want it; don’t require it.

August 16, 2013 at 10:11 am
(80) kitty says:

I am 56 and I never wear panty hose during the summer. I wear tights in the fall/winter and occasional hose, but I really prefer not to wear them at all.

August 16, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(81) Debra says:

I agree that pantyhose seem to be more of a generational preference; however, my 22 year old daughter will wear a pair for special occasions. I, a 54 year old, usually prefer hose – panty or stockings – whenever I wear a skirt or dress. For work, it seems more professional – even though I live in Florida – and for evenings out, it seems sexier.

August 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm
(82) sue says:

We will all be working into our 60s and beyond. I for one don’t want to see bare legs after a certain age, either on myself or others. It will just look old and unprofessional.

August 20, 2013 at 12:05 pm
(83) Justin says:

Some women in my office wear pantyhose, others do not. It seems the dress code for females has become very lax, and how they dress is entirely up to them. On the other hand, me and all of the other men in the office are required to wear jackets and ties, and of course dark socks and dress shoes. The women in the office that go without hose are often wearing skirts and sleeveless shirts and sandals. It’s like they’re dressed to dine at a seaside restaurant. Must be nice. The powers that be are afraid to comment on anything a woman wears as they’ll be accused of sexual harassment. But they won’t hesitate a second to tell me that the knot in my tie is loose. It’s a blatant double standard. I’d also like to point out that the women wearing heels and hose and proper business attire seem to get taken more seriously, and they look a damned sight better.

August 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(84) Ronica says:

@JA, I get tired of the it’s 2013 argument to try and justify things. Who cares if it’s 2013? That’s just a number and a number alone doesn’t change anything. People use that to brainwash people as you’ll hear it’s 2013 come up for almost anything to say something is old-fashioned which doesn’t make sense either as old things go and come back into style all the time. Saying 2013 is just a way of saying I’m a rebel and I hate the way things are done, but guess what, there’s always going to be something you don’t like because the world needs order.

Pantyhose are still a requirement and if my boyfriend still has to wear a suit and tie to work then we females have to still wear a skirt and pantyhose. The majority of the world still has it as a requirement for the office and it doesn’t look to be going anywhere. I didn’t even used to like pantyhose but now I do.

September 5, 2013 at 9:20 pm
(85) PETE says:

Pantyhose are exceptional. Women are pretty when they wear. I do not understand why women change their style and why they do not use pantyhose anymore. They are so beautful using them.

September 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm
(86) Stephanie says:

I don’t see what the big deal is. If you are a woman in any type of a professional environment, you should be wearing pantyhose or stockings. I am a 28 year old young professional and you couldn’t pay me to wear a dress, skirt or business suit to the office without some type of hosiery with it. Pantyhose give my legs a smooth, polished look and they are not uncomfortable to wear in the least. Bare legs are for the beach and they need to stay there. Enough said. I just wish a good chunk of other women out there would get a clue and stop dressing like slobs.

September 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm
(87) Margaret says:

First – The Chinese were the ones who did foot-binding.
Hose give a sleeker look (women who do not wear hose with skirts or dresses look half-naked, and their legs look really awful in the early spring and fall, when they look discolored and chapped due to the weather.

I do not understand why women should believe that they should go to work less dressed than men. When I worked in the corporate world, no one questioned the idea of hose – men wear long pants, shirts (properly with undershirts), jackets, and ties – what is the problem with wearing a dress, or jacket, blouse, and skirt with hose on your legs? Furthermore, what is the problem with wearing dresses or blouses which cover your bountiful assets? Are you going to the office to sell something other than what your company sells?

I am confounded when I go to a bank and see a teller half falling out of her top – is the point to confuse the men and perhaps make change poorly while they are staring down the teller’s blouse?

As a woman, I am disgusted seeing women in public service positions dressed as if they are selling something other than what their company purports to sell. First I am concerned that these women have no concept of modesty (they must have no religion and no self-respect), and then I am concerned that companies no longer have dress codes to curb the exhibitionism of their employees.

September 15, 2013 at 11:33 am
(88) Ronne says:

I’m a woman in the workplace and would LOVE to see pantyhose become the norm again. It’s more professional, cleaner look. I, for one, am tired of seeing women’s pantyllines and thong lines in pants and skirts. We’ve gone Way OVER the edge in casual – no one looks classy anymore – just slutty.

September 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm
(89) Alex says:

Most American women seem to “hate” pantyhose because they are uncomfortable, I find that hard to believe. I wear pantyhose and tights regularly and think they are the most comfortable item of clothing I own. If it is a comfort issue then why wear high heels, flip flops and go bare legged when it is 20 degrees outside? Women don’t wear pantyhose anymore because feminist or fashion experts told them not to. It probably goes along with how American women feel the need to be more masculine than men and think being feminine is wrong. Every movie or TV show you see now has to have some women who is “one of the guys” or can kick everybody’s ass and is tougher than everybody else. Why would a man want to date a woman that acts more manly than he does?

Women in Europe and Russia wear pantyhose daily, whether casual or dressy, because they know something that most American women are too self-absorbed to realize. Pantyhose feel great and make a women look classy, elegant, sexy and refined whereas bare legs make women look low-class. Only in America do you see women (Northwestern University Women’s Lacrosse team) go bare legged and wear flip-flops to the White House to meet the President. Wearing pantyhose has a massage effect for tired legs and have proven to help circulation and prevent Varicose Veins. On top of all that pantyhose is also the preferred look of the overwhelming majority of men. So you American women go ahead and walk around in your pale, splotchy and vein ridden legs while American men stare at European women.

October 15, 2013 at 11:30 am
(90) DJ says:

I have always loved how nylons look. I prefer the darker shades and never the light shades.

With that being said, in the Summer, you will never catch me wearing them – and never with sandals.

I am 59 years old. Wearing stilettos can only be worse when wearing them without nylons. Yeah, just my opinion…but I can still have one. Not to mention wearing those sweaty feet in anything but sandals. Yuck!

November 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(91) jane says:

I was raised to wear pantyhose. we look terrible without them.

December 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(92) marissa says:

While in college, we were required to wear hose to our sorority meetings. Then I hated them, could not stand to wear them at all. However, today (a year later) I wear them. They look nice, it’s a polished look. Nobody else in my office wears them though.

December 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(93) Nicki says:

I think that women should choose to wear whatever. But, to me it really only depends on what you’re wearing. Like if you were going somewhere formal like wearing a dress, sure why not wear them. Then also, you could be going somewhere casual and again, in my opinion, it wouldn’t look good to wear sandals with them.

December 3, 2013 at 1:55 am
(94) Greg says:

I reserve the right to be grossed out by bare legs. It is really gross looking.

December 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm
(95) JOSEPH P. WALL says:

Most women these days once they leave high school if that particular high school happened to have a very strict dress code of perhaps for the men a shirt and tie and pants and for the women say a simple dress or mini skirt along with a very nice shirt, simply want to dress the part or, whatever the style at the time happens to be. Older women though, say in their late 30ies or early 40ies tend to change from dresses or mini skirts to pants or slacks. If older women in their 40ies still wish to dress up in short dresses or mini skirts, it is often for a reason: either they still want to shop around for a particular boy friend to marry or, maybe they might be working at a particular job that might require women to dress up in a certain way (ie. decoy femail police officers) who may work out of a certain precinct in a very high sex crime area. What I don!t like to see is, very young girls, often as young as 8 or 9 years, waiting to get into school wearing mini skirts and knee high socks. That to me is too sexually suggestive for their ages. They should be wearing pants or slacks instead.

February 22, 2014 at 11:42 pm
(96) Taj says:

My office claims its dress code is business casual, yet specifies that hosiery is to be worn even with slacks. I probably wouldn’t wear a skirt without tights or something underneath, but with slacks, this just seems weird to me.

April 9, 2014 at 3:45 pm
(97) Mark says:

This is without a doubt the dumbest question ever posed on this site. Who cares, I certainly don’t and I interview people for a living and I can say without hesitiation this has never entered into my head when meeting a candidate.

April 9, 2014 at 4:48 pm
(98) Nicole says:

In my opinion, the company I currently work for is very old-fashioned in their dress code policies. I work in an upscale department store that requires all female employees to wear a skirt suit, hosiery, and closed toe shoes. They also strongly encourage women to wear heels, especially if they plan to be considered for a promotion. While we all look very professional, I believe the same level of professionalism could be achieved with a more lenient policy.

April 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm
(99) Carolyn says:

I wear tights during the winter and no hose come late spring, summer and early to mid fall. As long as a woman’s legs are groomed and lotioned, no matter the color I believe they look perfectly fine without hose. I am in high level position and know I look just as professional, if not more, as any man equal to me without my hose in my tailored suits.

It’s my belief that if my bare legs “gross you out” that is your problem. You shouldn’t be looking at them in the work place any way. Aren’t we here to work?

I’m 52 and my husband finds it amusing and quite flattering that so many heads turn as I walk by, my bare legs seems to still have it.

April 11, 2014 at 7:52 am
(100) Nancy says:

good to know what people think, and I’m glad I don’t work with or for the majority of them; there are tons of ways to present a professional appearance. It is outrageous that a male business person would say this: “On an interview if a woman is NOT wearing hosiery with a skirt/suit, then she is not serious about her appearance.” But the women’s comments were just as bad. Glad to know discrimination is alive and well. And on a side note, I’m really thankful for my husband and the male leadership I am associated with who are much more open and progressive.

April 15, 2014 at 8:56 am
(101) Gladys Owusu-Asare says:

One of the factors that defines the image of an organisation is the dress code of its employees. Thus, it is pertinent for every organisation to ensure that its employees wear formal, descent and acceptable dresses to work.

I would not recommend the wearing of panty hose in this twenty first century for any corporate lady. It will make the workplace be filled with caricatures especially were there are many ladies; full of laughter.

Female employees are to make conscientious effort to dress fashionably but appropriately to the work place.