1. Money
Susan M. Heathfield

Dealing with a Bad Boss

By March 3, 2014

Do you have a bad boss? Almost everyone does have a bad boss at one time or another. In fact, never encountering a bad boss during your whole career would be quite lucky.

Unfortunately, when you have a bad boss, a bad boss is a significant factor in most people's lives. Not every bad boss screams at and threatens employees. There are far more subtle ways for a manager to be a bad boss. But, that also makes it more likely that you'll have a bad boss - or be one.

Image Copyright John Foxx / Getty Images

There are two kinds of bad bosses. One doesn't know they're bad. The other is bad to the bone. Take a look to find out more about the different kinds of bad bosses and learn how to deal with a bad boss.

And, please vote in my poll. (You may only vote for one choice.)

Poll: If you had a bad boss, what actions would you most likely take?

More About Dealing With a Bad Boss

Comments
July 8, 2006 at 5:09 pm
(1) Mel H. says:

Here’s how I dealt w/ a nasty medical office manager and doctor who suspended me without informing me of how long I would be out: I lickety-split used all my connections to get a better job, gave no notice, told my new doctor’s office my notice was the time I was suspended for, and am loving the fact that they have yet (it’s been going on four mos.) to find a nurse to replace me! They thought I was at home crying when I was really networking my ass off!! Karma really bit them in the butt, as it will do when you try to frame an innocent person. Ha ha!!! -Laughing it up in Athens, GA

August 6, 2007 at 3:48 pm
(2) Brenda says:

I will no longer deal with a bad boss…there is no reason for a bad boss or the expectation that you should put up with it.

October 2, 2008 at 10:21 am
(3) Adam West says:

See, my boss’s boss is my bosses’ father (president of the company), and everything she says he agrees with. So that shows how she got the job, and there is little wiggle room.

November 23, 2008 at 5:23 am
(4) Renee says:

I don’t know the answer to this question, what I do know is this, no job is worth your self esteem, your happiness or health. I love what I do but don’t love who I work with when I do it. Find a mentor, a friend, some support don’t try and deal with it on your own because unfortunately you could be the one to suffer.

January 30, 2009 at 4:40 am
(5) Bose A says:

All the “Bad Bosses” i have had to deal with ended up becoming good friends. What i did was to learn how to manage them. With a lot of help from God.

February 2, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(6) Shon says:

I had a bad boss about 2 years ago. I worked very hard for this woman – only for her to be very negative, petty, nit picky and take the credit for my work. I spoke to her politey, gave her chance after chance to get it together, and at all times did what she said to-do very respectfully. Well, it got to the point where she was not respecting me and I could no longer respect her. She even tried bullying me by mentioning terms like “insubordination”, “suspension”, and “termination”. This bad boss was trying to play head games with me – but it only pissed me off further so I had to do what I had to do.

I followed the policies and procedures at my job to address the issues with her superiors as well as human resources. We have strong policies regarding employee retaliation. I carefully documented EVERY single conversation, meeting, and task that I did for this woman. I had to reverse the role to let her know that I was documenting her too. Oh, did I also mention the days I was recording that she was missing work and not submitting leave requests for time off? That’s called “STEALING” and immediate grounds for termination. Now tell me, who’s going to get into who’s head first. During this 6 month period of hell – her position was finally eliminated and she was dismissed.

“Bad Bosses, get it together because what you’re doing or not doing will catch up to you and come to an end. – I promise”

August 11, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(7) Liz says:

The Bad Boss owns the company and is a micro-manager, she goes beserk and screams at employess, threatens them and the families that were served by the Hospice company. She creates such a intolerable work environment that the turn over was over 75%.. of the staff was new.. the door was a revolving door, most people stay less than a month, and the longest was a year.. She was just insane in ther demands, that were both unethical, and sometimes illegal. There was not talking to her, she was always right, and she had the power to fire.. the interesting thing is she still has the company, but with new staff every few months, and now has to hire only inviduals who move to AZ from other states, no one in the area will even apply at this place.

March 12, 2009 at 8:42 am
(8) Mary says:

Current non profit facilitator (never worked and lacks educational and/or management delegation training) is under the impression that she is the only person to attend every meeting and refuses to included directors who do the actual work. Granted she raised children, but is unable to understand the frustration that her micro management is causing within the organization.

September 13, 2009 at 2:36 am
(9) Larry says:

My boss suspended me because an error occurred that was actually caused by someone in another department who destroyed the evidence. When I pointed this out I was told that someone had to pay the price, and it was me. Then, when I said I was going to file a grievance (it’s a union shop) at first he said he was going to raise the penalty to termination, but the shop steward pointed out in no uncertain terms how that is illegal. So instead he changed my shift to a roving shift, meaning I now have no set schedule, making it impossible to plan anything outside of work.

I’de leave except that no one else is hiring, most of the other companies in my field are laying off. Also, I’ve been here too long, if I left now I would destroy my chances of getting a decent pension.

March 1, 2010 at 1:59 am
(10) Dion says:

I was recently working in a warehouse. My boss had the radio on all day long, very loudly which was very annoying all day every day which he never let people turn off or down. He intimidated, belittled, questioned rational and reasonable actions if he didn’t like them, he ignored me, spy’d on me all day. The worst was that he was violent by throwing boxes and phones right near me and he subdued and controlled people through passive aggressive behaviour. No one should ever have to put up with it. He was the most apathetic man I have known. I nicknamed him Satan. I was sick every morning I was at work. When they made my role redundant, I was singing and celebrating in my car and at home that day.

March 30, 2010 at 11:11 am
(11) Reshma says:

My supervisor received a warning letter for leaving the plant without permission. Yesterday he harassed for my whole 8 hrs. Paiged me every 1/2 hr in the morning period and every 15mins in the afternoon. He went as far as to spy on me. He called other employees in other departments to find out what time i was there and for how long.
I work with a shift and at times the other members had bad worked me intentionally.

May 5, 2010 at 12:44 am
(12) Delia says:

Hi,
I have an East Indian new colleague who joined the department since few months. Recently in a meeting with our supervisor he brought up things I could have never imagined someone would ever pay any attention. I felt stabbed in the back and betrayed. Of course I was extremely surprised and more than that frustrated with a boiling blood. My boss didn’t fully understand and partially took his side showing frustration as well. My only comment I was able to get out was that I am feeling that the discussion is in a kindergarten and I feel I passed that time since a long time. I also said are lots of things I can comment, add, complain but I do understand more than this childish manner and do not want to behave less than professional.
I have to comment that both my East Indian colleague and my boss are very ignorant men not using any basic polite conversations as “Hi” Bye” “ Have a good evening “ or How was your week-end”. My boss is not communicating at all not even when he is on vacation leave and I am acting. I talked with the director (my boss’s supervisor and he is humble- In fact this is his name HUMBLE). My boss is hated be the whole organization. I am preferred over my colleague because people and public can’t deal with the East Indian accent and attitude. I feel used and feel to behave in the same way, not communicating, even one more word besides the core of the work action. I base this thought on the fact that I can’t change them but I can change myself. I am not happy but at least I feel equal. Please advice and suggest- I love my work and the environment. Thank you.

June 25, 2010 at 9:44 am
(13) michelle says:

THe way that you deal with a bad boss is by making sure that you are aware of your job descriotion. When you start a new job or if you are in an existing job, always make it your business to know the employee handbook and the company SOP ( Standard Operating Procedure). All companys have some type of sop or company policy manuals. Once you are aware of your rights as an employee, then when the bad boss comes around spouting all of their incorrect assumptions and innuendos, you can point them to the company manual on how these things should be done. Know who to contact in your company’s HR department if you have problems. Bad bosses and managers only get worse not better. And in order for you as an employee to have peace of mind, you must make them aware of the fact that you know what you can and cannot do according to company policy. Because generally when you let them know this they will generally back off of you and go to someone else who will not stand of for themselves. If you follow the chain of command and you still cannot get any relief, then you must contact some federal agencies for help. It is illegal in this country to create what is termed a hostile work environment. Companies can be fined big time if they are found to be in violation of this law and no company wants that. Always know legally what you can do. This is the best ammunition you can have against bad bosses who think that their word is the law.

December 8, 2010 at 9:35 am
(14) anonymous says:

I wish your article specifically addressed how to deal with a boss who takes credit for your work as alluded to in the beginning. Also, you assume in your article that the work environment is very large, with possibilities for finding another mentor, transferring departments, or speaking with HR. At the end, you basically said that if none of your suggestions work, start looking for a new job. I believe this fails a large percentage of people who work in a smaller organization with a much narrower and shallower hierarchy. I was hoping for insights more attuned with how to document what you do, how to ensure people know it’s your work being claimed by another, how to request being cc’d on all emails dealing with a particular issue, etc.

August 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(15) Jim aka Evil Skippy says:

These are great points. For the flip side of the issue, here is what I wrote about my best boss ever in today’s ES@W, “What Makes A Best Boss “Best”?”: http://www.evilskippyatwork.com/?p=943

September 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(16) Kira says:

My boss owns the business I work at. I can’t complain about her because she owns the place and would probably just fire me.

She is always in a bad mood and likes to ignore what other people say. She has a very strong personality and likes to interupt what you say all the time.

She also forgets a lot of things. At first I thought that I was screwing up my job but I carefully documented everything we discussed and discovered that she often just forgot what we had talked about and just made up something. She was getting me in trouble saying that I was changing dates on things or products but we had discussed and agreed on what I had done.

On more than one occasion she has yelled at me or made me feel stupid. It is not unusual for me to hide in the bathroom and cry. I don’t believe that she has a heart and takes pleasure in watching others suffer.

Because she owns the business she also hired the Store Manager who likes to sneak around and figure out what everyone is doing. She is a total nark and reports everything she sees to the owner.

I would have left a long time ago but I the job has made me feel valuless and I can’t imagine getting paid anywhere else.

Jokes on them though, I’m leaving to go back to school soon and when I leave I’m going to delete a bunch of important stuff I’ve worked on. I do not deserve to be treated this way and I will have my revenge!

February 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm
(17) jane says:

This is for Michelle. Thanks for your wisdom, I need more help within my HR and it is no where to be found. HR only helps the company.

First I am a huge follower of this website, thank you it helps all of us. To Michelle and Bad Boss: In theory, all you say sounds appropriate, however, once you complain, in my case I have been black-listed and I am unable to transfer out of the problem department. In addition, HR will only protect the company and refuses to assist the employee. I understand your points, I need more assistance. In the mean time, I have no person willing to tell the truth – a total lack of integrity; it is shameful. I am interested in what you say relative to the law. I have been unsuccessful and I cannot find anyone willing to provide the assistance I require. I am 20 years with the same company and now I am blacklisted with HR. I am determinined to stay; I do not know who to turn to for help with my serious problem. Thanks all, great chance for assistance here. All comments are welcome.

July 30, 2012 at 11:53 am
(18) Ceridian says:

Managing upwards is a real challenge these days – I do feel that line managers don’t receive enough training on actually managing people, though. This is one of the main issues in our workplace today.

November 28, 2012 at 10:44 am
(19) Billy Williams says:

I worked for Dubz and up tire in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and I worked seven days a week from six in the morning to eight at night and was getting paid one hundred to one hundred forty dollars a week. I have lots of bills to pay but can’t cause of him, and he caused me to quit. What do I do.

April 29, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(20) David T says:

I have had many horrible bosses and there are only 3 pieces of advice that can fix them all. As long as a boss is providing a service for money, they answer to someone else, ie. Department of Labor. Anyone, even owners, can be penalized, sued, and have their business dissolved for harassment.

Here is a tip I learned from a mentor called Managing your boss. Keep a board visible of three tasks you are working on and label them 1, 2, 3. When told to do something else other that what’s on your list, ask you boss which ones he/she would like you to stop doing. In most cases, this helps the boss realize your contribution to the team. Sometimes they forget. If it doesn’t, at least you will only be doing one thing at a time. BTW, this usually made my boss go to someone else or just not bother with me.

Another tip I learned from a mentor is to document everything like encounters, tasks, and updates from your boss. If you complain without proof, you are just passed off as a complainer, but if you diligently write everything down, you look like a professional trying to help the company.

The last tip I learned on my own.
Don’t feed horrible bosses. If you have a piece of information or a new idea don’t share it with your horrible boss without carbon copying someone else on an equal or higher level. Without your extra hard work, innovative ideas, and good hearted help, you horrible boss will eventually fall on their face, professionally. You may not be there when it happens but it WILL happen.

May 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm
(21) Julie says:

I recently quit my new job after only 7 weeks due to a bad boss. I have never been so miserable in my life. Definately had new job remorse when I realized my new boss was awful. Being a new employee for this guy I endured taunting, being ignored and put down when I asked for help, subjected to crude language and obscene gestures. Who does this to their new employee? I was appalled and shocked at the way this man acted towards me – I quit without notice (“at will”). I will never even mention that I worked for this man/company and won’t put it on my resume. Now I’m scrambling to find a new job fast but I could not last another day around this imbecile so the risk I’m taking is worth it. I quit last week and have already had two job interviews so I’m praying the right job and boss is coming soon!

July 16, 2013 at 9:50 am
(22) Alex says:

One of the first crucial steps to dealing with a bad boss is knowing your legal rights. British employees can find some useful tips on this employment law information site – http://www.suemyboss.co.uk.

July 18, 2013 at 3:46 pm
(23) Jessica says:

What are you supposed to do when you tell your boss you’re pregnant, he tells you why you don’t need a baby you can’t afford one and also yells at you and tells you to quit being a whore and keep your legs closed? What should I do? I am so confused and so tired of crying over my boss being sooooo hateful and mean!

July 26, 2013 at 3:28 am
(24) Karen says:

I am a head chef. Recently I had a 24 hr bug, so I texted the general manager that I wouldn’t be in as I was getting sick all the time. His reply was that I was the head chef and I was to find the replacement myself. He carried this on for 2 hrs in the morning. Am I in the wrong here,thinking that he should find a replacement?

July 28, 2013 at 2:06 am
(25) Susan Heathfield says:

Hi Karen,

I think it is a matter of workplace policies and procedures. You’re right, it makes no sense to ask the sick person to find their replacement. You need to work this procedure out with the GM when you are back at work. Then, everyone will know the path to follow in the future.

Regards,

Susan

August 3, 2013 at 11:59 am
(26) GrippMeister says:

Mine is an overgrown, overpaid kid. Big anime fan. Takes himself very seriously, the rest of us are like toys he’s playing with. Memo to boss: life is not Robotech.

August 10, 2013 at 4:03 am
(27) Bill says:

I started with a company that was brand new and just opended the doors for business. My boss and the three other employees, in my small department, had worked together for 15 years at another business. The three employees (my co-workers) could do nothing wrong in the eyes of their friend err…our boss. For some reason I have been written up several times concerning job performance. My co-workers do the same activities as myself (they trained me) but I get jammed up and nothing is ever said to my co-workers. In this line of work there is no real SOP or job description for me to quote to my boss. Now one of my co-workers was promoted even after being seen numerous times in the office, by our boss, making personal phone calls. Our boss would see this and just turn around and walk out. I’ve turned this incredibly negative situation into a positive. While still working at this hellish job, I’ve started my own business and plan to quit my job, without notice, and go fulltime with my business. If you can’t beat them, become their competition! I apoligize for any bad grammar. This topic makes me angry and frustrated.

August 11, 2013 at 11:03 pm
(28) Rebecca C. says:

Well we can’t avoid bosses who let their power go in their heads, you are bound to meet a bad boss one day. They may not credit your good work sometimes, may not allow you to take a leave or don’t even give positive feedback, issues like that I can handle, as long as I’m doing my work right and effectively. But if your bad boss does the most damaging things to their employees health: mentally and emotionally, I can’t deal with that. If they are messing with your confidence and ruining your life, that is not a worth it job, might as well find a good company that will let you grow and make your day right. And when you find a new job, try to warn other future applicants by rating your x-boss online, like this site: http://takethisjoborshoveit.com/ranksupervisor.

September 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm
(29) peter says:

I am 26 and I honestly don’t understand what is the problem with some people out there, especially bosses. I worked at a country club recently as a grounds maintence person (yes, I’ve heard the caddyshack references a million times lol) and I enjoyed the job, most of the people I workd with were cool, but the main manager guy who was our boss was a complete and utter jerkoff who never smiled, never hung out with us much, always criticizing and not in a constructive nice way. in short, he was an asshole. nobody liked him, they just put up with him. I finally snapped one day when he “threatened” me when I made an honest mistake and said if so so happened I would be fired. I finally let it all out and gave him what for and told him the truth about himself. He was like, “ARE YOU TRYING TO INTIMIDATE ME?” I mean wow, what a jerk! I also found it weird that he keeps people who are totally lazy but the guys like me that work their asses off, he doesn’t like. It’s total bullshit and I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. It’s just not worth putting up with a jerkyass boss who insists on treating others like garbage. No wonder this place had a huge turnover lately with a lot of people literally just walking out. I dealt with it as much as I could, but in the end it’s just not worth it. If your boss is a total jerk. I can understand that managers do have a lot on their shoulders, but to be a total jerk to everyone who is trying to do their jobs is completely uncalled for. I would NEVER be that way to an employee, no matter what was going on in my life.

September 22, 2013 at 10:28 am
(30) Micky says:

What do you do when your immediate boss is condescending and you are new and you know you have a target on your back. You have been accused of gossip and negative behavior, when you know you have not said or done anything. And when your training stunk and you cannot say anything and your boss thinks you’re dumb and tells her boss you just are not getting the job

October 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm
(31) Deb says:

Oh where to begin. I’ve had several bad bosses even including the current one. They hired me a year ago to replace the current boss when she retires. Now I find out during my one year evaluation that they are bringing another guy on board to learn her job. But wait for it. They did say I was doing a good job and what little accounting I’m doing now and even got a raise. Then today twice. Once this morning she jumps me in front of the owner and then during lunch. She sits not even 10 feet away (I can hear) and tells another co-owner bascially what a piece of shit I am, not knowing anything, etc. She has never really showed me anything and even said so. I’m so sick and tired of shitty people getting to the top and staying there. I’ve seen on the national news a week ago that 70% of us hate our jobs. I’m glad to know it’s not just me out there.

October 22, 2013 at 10:02 am
(32) Sharon says:

Hi, can anyone help me? We as cleaners have been taken over to another company and now they have said they are making my job role redundant. Day time supervisor but my job role is site manager for the cleaners. I went on the sick leave for 4 weeks but was hoping to start back yesterday but they said I can’t til I’ve had my meeting next Monday as I put a complaint in about it. But, they are paying me but said I should use this week to look for another job. But if they are making the supervisor role redundant then sure I have a case against them as they have brought a smg manager on site when they took over but have never demoted me to supervisor so I’m still classed as cleaning site manager. Can anyone help me if I’m right or they have the rights to do this.

October 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm
(33) mike says:

I have to add my name to the list as well of people who have had bad bosses, but it’s also when you have really shitty coworkers as WELL as having a shitty boss that just adds to the overall factor of job suckage. It’s even worse when you don’t “fit in” even while working your ass off. I guess high school never ends really. Jobs, like school, have their own cliques and bullies. It NEVER ends! That’s pretty scary. You’d think when people grow up, they would GROW UP. But, there’s so much immaturity out there, it boggles the mind. I am a clean cut young man, I don’t smoke, hardly drink, and never did drugs. I’m also a bit of a health nut. So imagine I get a job at a landscaping company where EVERYONE smokes, drinks, does drugs, pot, etc. and brag about it. I already don’t fit in. I thought ok, it’s a seasonal job, I’ll try my best to deal with it if the people are at least nice. But no, my boss cusses people out even when they just did hard work, makes the work environment very hard to tolerate. Let’s just say he is not a man born with very good social skills (unless, of course, it’s dealing with customers). And on top of all that, you have the asshole coworkers who basically do nothing but kiss the boss’s ass and put YOU down. I was basically called stupid multiple times by this one guy who is the boss’s croney, and even after I complained, nothing was done because they are all “chummy” with each other thus they all protect one another. I even was this one jerk I work with and I started complaining and going off about how much of a jerkoff the boss is after having just yelled at BOTH of us for an honest mistake, and this kid went to “rat” me out like some kinda little tattle tail cuz he LIKED the guy! I was like, dude he just yelled the shit out of you and you’re going to rat me out for saying some words about him? are you serious? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE FREAKIN PEOPLE!!!??

October 31, 2013 at 5:42 pm
(34) mike says:

*Continued* — needless to say, I went right out and told the boss how unprofessional and jerky that is to go off and cuss out people for doing their job, and not dealing with things in a courteous, professional manner. I then went home after my day was done, and never went back. You don’t go off on someone just for minor things unless you really, and I mean REALLY, make a big goofup that costs people money. Then why yell and scream at your employees, or let your little lackeys call people stupid? Buncha loser hicks, places like that you just gotta wipe the dust from your feet of those losers and move on. Jerks like that deserve each other.

December 1, 2013 at 9:32 am
(35) Mia says:

PLEASE HELP. IS THE RIGHT, I HAD BEEN AT WORK THAT DAY. I CAME HOME FROM WORK AND HAD BEEN IN ALL AFTERNOON AND EVENING AS I ONLY WORKED THE MORNING.
THAT EVENING AT 6PM I GOT A PHONE CALL, NOT FROM MY BOSS HIM SELF HE HAD GOT A MEMBER OF THE MANGER TEAM TO CALL ME TO TELL ME I HAD BEEN SUPENDED.
I ASKED WHY AND WAS TOLD HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO TELL ME. I WOULD GET A LETTER IN THE POST IN THE WEEK TO TELL ME.
THEY CALLED ME THE FRIDAY NIGHT LEAVING ME ALL WEEKEND WITH OUT KNOWING WHY.
THEY ALSO NEW I WAS BOOKED IN THAT EVENING AT THE PLACE FOR A MEAL WITH MY 10 FRIENDS FOR A BIRTHDAY MEAL. WHEN I TOLD THE MAN ON THE PHONE WHO CALLED ME TO TELL ME THIS NEWS I WAS TOLD I AM NOT ALLOWED TO GO ANY WHERE NEAR THE PLACE.
IS THIS RIGHT ACTION TO BE TAKEN?
I HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD WHY?
I WAS IN WORK THAT MORNING AND COULD OF BEEN TOLD BUT WAS NOT TOLD?
I DID NOT HAVE MY BOSS PHONE ME I HAD ONE OF THE MANGER TERM CALL ME?
I HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD WHAT I HAVE DONE WRONG?

December 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(36) Susan Heathfield says:

Mia,

I don’t approve of the way that your employer treated you, especially if you had no reprimands or other warnings about your performance. If you live in an at-will state, the employer doesn’t have to tell you why although I usually recommend lots of warnings so being fired is never a surprise, nor is the reason. The letter may not tell you anything either. I don’t understand the term suspension either. But, the fact that I think their approach is unethical and cruel does not make it illegal unless you have a written contract or a union contract.

December 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(37) cheryl says:

Bad bosses are managers or people hired on that have no idea what it takes to run a business. You can not run a successful business without employees and those bosses who don’t appreciate their employees don’t deserve to be a boss. I worked for a company and there was an admin lead named Theresa who should never have been an admin lead. She always gossiped and gave wrong advice.

That’s when I became my own boss and I will never disrespect an employee if and when I grow enough to have them!

January 8, 2014 at 1:22 pm
(38) benson says:

At a recent team meeting I was caught texting. The meeting had run twenty minutes over the scheduled completion time. Others were doing the same thing. My boss routinely has singled me out, hazed, humiliated and yelled at me for 18 months. I am the top performer in his district and have been for all 18 months. I have no ‘dings’ on my record, only valued performance.
Specifically I am looking for feedback on what transpired following the texting incident. My boss pulled me off to the side called me rude, said others felt the same way and that I was a distraction. I retorted that three others were doing the same thing. He immediately jumped into my face, enraged, and yelled, ‘do you want to go there with me!’ I took this as a threat and immediately left the venue.
When someone does that do you see it as a physical threat?
Thanks

February 25, 2014 at 9:12 pm
(39) rae says:

I was told, “I’m so mad at you I want to stick my foot so far up your _ss, we would have to go to the emergency to have it removed” I helped a co-worker with a problem, since everyone was out to lunch, wrong move. I complained, his boss ran down the hall to catch the paperwork first.
I was told they don’t have the time to waste to train me, I earned bonuses every month.
I was not allowed to laugh, talk to co-workers for some reason, told to finish a project before I left that day…called the assistant boss at eight p.m. to tell her I couldn’t finish as the prep work had not been done yet. She said she was just joking. Yet she does it again on Christmas eve.
That’s five bosses I’ve told about, with many more stories, at one company over twelve years. They fired me for being too low on the pay scale. I need to let go of the anger and can’t seem to.

March 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm
(40) Manqing says:

I have never worked with a bad boss, but I think it must be very tough to work with a bad boss, which would put a negative influence on your job. I very much agree with the article, “Bad to Bone: How to Deal with Your Bad Boss” that said take actions to prove yourself and let the boss know you are making an effort to satisfy his/her standards. I believe, if the bad boss aims to improve the overall company work quality, he would be too picky to you after you meet his/her requirements. However, if he still complained to you and ignored your effort, I believe it is time for you to seek another job.

March 5, 2014 at 11:03 am
(41) Mel says:

I have had the privilege of working with a wide variety of narcissistic/arrogant personalities, and one narcissist/sociopath. I have always moved on from my job as these types simply do not care if they are unaccountable and/or lazy, and since the companies I have worked for have allowed or condoned the behavior of these folks, nothing will change. The trick is to learn to spot these types and get away from these people ASAP.

Good career advice is below on how to escape the ‘zombie’ boss:

March 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm
(42) Angelica says:

Silicon Valley is the vortex of damnation.
I worked at a Non-Profit because I thought it would be safe and I would help society. Well, one day the accountant steps into my office and says that I am being framed to take the fall for money that was missing from the year’s budget. I thought, wait, I have only been working here for a month and a half…how could….then it dawned on me….I was hired a month before the non profit was going to be audited. I was the stooge…it finally made sense to me why they were so accommodating to me and in getting me a great office, etc.
So, I left, and am now working as a director again. So far the owner has told me, after two weeks of working happily, that he is unable to pay me after next week. I sat back in my chair and felt like I had died. Feeling empty from having tried so hard to make things work for all my jobs and then getting used to the blunt hit in the gut…. I work quietly, I am a nice person, I like to work, mind my own business and life just keeps placing me in some really crappy jobs. I decided to hang in there as I don’t want to jump around. Then I realized, I understood why some people willingly take the crap from bosses. I figure that they must be tired from looking for new and better jobs, they probably get knocked down and like me, have given up and given in. I don’t know what my future will be like as I type this. I don’t know what my week after the next will be like and I am afraid of homelessness. I am looking for jobs though on the side. I am scared. The Silicon Valley has schiesters, charlatans, evil evil bad blooded people – stay out if you can help it.

March 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm
(43) jim says:

In my experience, if there is not much improvement after you meet with HR or the boss of the problem boss, then start looking elsewhere for a better job opportunity because most bosses are unwilling to change.

March 29, 2014 at 10:45 am
(44) JMC says:

I agree that going to hr does pretty much nothing, I have a boss that is unethical and thinks that it’s all about him. I stick up for myself and it’s a problem because he’s likes yes people so it is like oil and water. The best way to change things in these situations is to move on. Because I know my manager is working his hardest to get me out of there.