1. Money
Susan M. Heathfield

Do You Post Salary in Job Postings?

By October 29, 2013

Do you put the salary for the job in your job postings, either your online job postings or in other venues?

This debate about putting salary in job postings becomes more important as job applicants are willing to settle just to have a job. This could cause retention chaos as jobs become more available or motivation damage for people who are under-employed, under-utilized, and bored.

The Debate About Salary in Job Postings

Employers argue that not supplying the salary range gives them more flexibility in considering a wide range of candidates, especially in cases where they may have some flexibility. Some also believe that the first party to supply a number in a salary negotiation is in the weaker negotiating postion. Job applicants argue that they don't want to waste their time applying for jobs that pay outside of the salary range which they require.

Applicants say that an online job application for an employer's applicant tracking system can take an hour or more to fill out. So, it is unfair to withhold salary information that would have helped them decide whether to apply. It's one thing to enter a resume online, but entirely different to fill out an application, participate in interviews, and more, for a position that he or she cannot afford to accept.

Another piece, when you hire an employee, to the salary negotiation puzzle is that employers frequently ask candidates to provide either their current salary or their expected compensation with the application.

I have seen all sorts of advice about how to respond to this request. But, the reality is that, if the employer asks for this information with the application, the application is not valid, and the applicant need not be considered, without supplying it.

I can see all sides of this debate and have taken positions on both sides in the past. The online job application world has made me rethink much of what I believe, however, because of the time job applicants invest. I now lean toward believing that employers should supply salary information, albeit a broad range, in job postings. Your arguments have convinced me. Can you convince me otherwise?

Poll About Salary in Job Postings

So, what's your opinion? Do you include salary on your job postings, or not - and why? Is "competitive salary and above average benefits" enough to attract the most qualified applicants? Please vote in my poll so we can all see current thinking.

Comments
March 26, 2010 at 2:02 am
(1) Ian Webster says:

There are a number of good reasons for not posting salaries or ranges in recruitment adverts.
ē We pay a great deal for salary surveys. We are not going to give our information away to our competitors for free.

Finally, desperate applicants donít bother to read or pay attention to adverse information. If the high salary confirms the high level of the position suggested by the rest of the advert, so what? Weíll try anyway. The only reduction to the number of applicants will be the few at the top end who are earning much more than your offer. Some of them, desperate enough, will try anywayówho knows, maybe I can persuade them to up their offer? So the reduction in numbers will be limited.

Therefore, leave it out. But, hey, if youíre advertising something I might be interested in, put it in. And if you are one of my competitors, I want to see it!

July 27, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(2) Don Hopper says:

There is absolutely positively NO good reason to neglect posting the pay other than it pays commission. I suppose in an upper management career where thereís a lot of posturing things may be different. I however am not posting for a sales position or to be president or CEO of an oil company. Mostly, Iíve performed grunt work and truck driving. The most I could ever hope to make without a miraculous intervention of some sort would be $55K a year. Iíve tried to apply for jobs I didnít even want and the first thing they want me to do is become a member of their website. (STUPID) After that some want you to take a test and then fill out a lengthy app and never once tell you what the pay is. After you become a member and taking a test and after you fill out an app then youíre stuck waiting for them to call. All these things are perfectly fine and Iíve done all of them but knowing the pay up front would save me that much time. The further away a job is the more it has to pay. I went all the way to Ann Arbor last week only to find out that after fuel and taxes I wouldn’t have enough to pay my bills. Time after time Iíve spent a half hour to an hour of my life to find Iím looking at a job thatís an hour away and pays $8 DOLLARS AN HOUR! If it were 30 minutes away (At this point) I might take it but when itís an hour and twenty minutes away I couldnít if I wanted to. If I look at a job posted and see up front ďHey, hereís a job playing video games and watching TV in right down the street, cool. HMM what does it pay? $27.00 dollars a week, gee thatís not enough.Ē I can live with that. Not ďOh, hereís a job cleaning spider rectums. Well, itís an hour away, but thatís not bad. Iíll fill this out, that out, this out, that out, go here go there call this guyís mom and how much does it pay? 8 dollars an hour! I wasted hours of my time looking at a job I canít afford to work at. Itís stupid, irresponsible and inconsiderate. How about not giving out the location? Does THAT make sense? NOOOOOOOOO!!! How about the leaving out the job description or the qualifications? It’s only the single most important part of the job.

November 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm
(3) Peter says:

I think it is pretty ridiculous to hide the rate of pay for a position. I guess I would just assume that the employer is trying to hide their true intentions, eg.. they want to pay less than market value. Fine if all the people who apply are desperate and have no income, but if you already have a job, wouldn’t you want to know the job you’re applying to pays at least something similar to the job you already have?

May 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm
(4) Matt says:

I think all employers should show what salary they are going to pay, or at least a range. It will make others stop and think whether they should apply for the position or not.

I have been looking for work now in the IT field for over 3months and with 7yrs exp. no one wants to pay. They will ask you for the moon and stars but when it comes to salary they expect to get you for free.
It is good to see some companies put a range to at least know i’m worth something.

June 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm
(5) RJ says:

I’ve stopped applying for jobs that don’t post a salary range. It’s a waste of time. I darn well won’t provide a “desired salary” to a company that hasn’t told me what they intend to pay.

I have an MBA, years of high level experience in finance and personnel management, and a CMA; why would I waste my time applying for a job at a company that doesn’t value my credentials? Why would I tilt my hand by telling them what I want to get paid when I have no idea what they’re willing to pay (God forbid I say I’ll take $120k when the employer was willing to go $150).

Anyone who has taken introductory econ (or read a Texas Hold ‘Em book) knows about Game Theory — do not put yourself in a situation in which you’re forced to deal with asymmetric information. If I were an HR Director, and I were posting for a job, I’d post without a salary requirement first, just to weed out the idiots.

June 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(6) dullgeek says:

I wouldn’t mind not having a salary range posted, if the application process weren’t such a pain. I need to focus my application process on jobs that are within my range, and not waste time applying for jobs that I’m not going to end up taking.

I won’t apply for an appealing job that seems to match my skills if I don’t know what the salary range is. It’s a poor use of my time. If I were currently unemployed, it might be different.

July 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm
(7) Andrew says:

I no longer apply for jobs without salary postings – too much wasted time, too many undervalued postings.

The whole point of working is for the salary (otherwise, who would go to work for free), yet that is most often the neglected piece of the puzzle.

There should be no ambiguity about this, or confusing and ‘underhanded’ tricks. It really shouldn’t be a question asked by the potential employee in a formal interview – “sooooo, how much is this job paying?”…

July 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm
(8) CK says:

There should be a law against the practice of posting job ads which do not list salaries.

January 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(9) Tina says:

This is driving me nuts.

I do a job search and get 189 results. FOUR of them have a salary listed. I am currently unemployed and looking for a job, but I do not want to waste my time applying for hundreds of jobs that are below my salary needs.

It’s bad enough when the job listing is really vague about the actual job duties, but if it doesn’t list the pay either, how am I supposed to know if it’s a complete waste of my time and the employer’s time to apply?

If I apply for a job and they offer it to me, and it turns out to be about half of my previous salary… that’s less than what I’m making on unemployment! But if I refuse the job, I could lose my unemployment benefits.

Employers think that since they are getting hundreds of applicants for every job that they don’t need to list a salary, but they are alienating quality potential employees.

January 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(10) Susan Heathfield says:

Hi Tina,

I have come around to your point of view for very similar reasons that you have listed. I now recommend that employers put salary ranges in job postings. The employer faces some problems by doing that, too, though, so I am also sympathetic to them. I mean, how would you feel, knowing the salary range, when an employer offered you an adequate, but hardly spectacular, starting salary in the bottom of the range? Excited to come on board? But, maybe that’s all the candidate’s current skill and experience level were worth comparatively.

Regards, Susan

April 3, 2012 at 7:44 am
(11) niki Nicholas Nkuna says:

Salaries should be posted to circumvent exploitation by some employers. What if the prospective employee quotes less than the basic salary of the job? The employer can simple accept. That will be exploitation.

April 3, 2012 at 8:30 am
(12) mohamad b says:

I prefer to have salary matters discussed upon interviewing, as impression and convincing mannets of both parties play a major role.
If the employer has a fixed scale, it may help if salary range is announced

April 4, 2012 at 2:12 am
(13) javan says:

I think revealing salary in a job advert is not good. Often you will find very good employees working for low salaries due to nature of company’s business. While they may wish to take a new job, they are most likely to be intimidated by the relative salary difference between their current pay and posted salary on job advert, if very significant.
I would therefore prefer advert without salary figure, but with statement informing prospective candidates that generous or competitive salary and benefits will be provided.

Javan- Kenya

April 22, 2012 at 12:18 am
(14) Josh says:

I simply cannot stand that employers don’t post the wage/salary range. For those that don’t, you know they are trying to play the game of offering you the least possible.

It is like going into a store where there are no price tags on anything. I’ve run across a few stores like this. I turn around and walk right now.

Unfortunately, just about every dang HR idiot in the world refuses to post a salary range (otherwise I wouldn’t ever apply for any job that didn’t post a range). As a result, I and millions of others like me either miss out on jobs that may have been a great fit, or else waste countless hours applying for jobs, sometimes doing one or two phone or in-person interviews, only to finally ask what the job might pay, and find out it is less than I make now! It is such a blatant disregard for EVERYONE’s time, as it wastes HR time too. It just doesn’t make sense. Would a car lot sell very many cars without any prices listed? Would a gas station sell much gas without posting its price?

For example, I just did a search for jobs and found 589 matches, and none of the first 30 or so I checked, that looked like a decent possibility, listed a salary range. Well, I don’t have time to apply for hundreds of jobs.

Seriously, HR folks, have some respect!

June 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(15) Stan says:

Perhaps employers seek to hold candidates by making them think like: “OK I came here and asked permission so many times that….what the hell…I take it” or, if they post salary ranges people would like for getting the job…oh no wait…that is what interviews do already…so why not skip the hideous recruiting process and just reduce everything to a single, solely, one interview instead of meet the whole HP staff?
Phrasing Marx: “Workers are assets themselves, employers see in them the best resource to exploit without of risk of running out of it.” If they post salaries then they put themselves in risk of having to raise that yet unpaid salary cause candidates lower so the days go on. I have an idea, post salaries and benefits and let potential appliers to decide whether it is convenient or not.

June 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm
(16) Matt says:

Yes, employers should post the expected pay range for the job. It is a pretty lame excuse to say, “Well I don’t want to be out bid by my competitor”. Fact is, I’ve felt like a lot of time could be saved if employers just posted the pay range. There have been many times when I’ve invested hours between filling out applications, interviewing (for some of which I had to travel out of state) only to find that the pay is too low. I’ve even had an employer get disgruntled with me for turning down an offer and I basically told her, “If I had known from the beginning that this was the expected pay, then I wouldn’t have bothered applying.”

I feel that not posting the salary range wastes both the employer’s and employee’s time. Right now I am making a comfortable salary, so unless I know a job pays more than what I am now making, I won’t even consider it.

August 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(17) Gat says:

In applying for “lower levels” of the companies with fast turnover it seems perfect for managers to pick the lowest bids for jobs & then submit how much money they saved the company so they can get a bonus. The fact that there’s fast turnover in the company in that arena helps to disguise these cheap fix choices.

August 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(18) DS says:

It’s horrible to spend hours of time filling out applications, running into glitches online, following up on applications, determining whether the location is feasible, prep for the interview and know a little about the company, etc. only to commute there go through the interrogation process only to hear at the end of it all that the salary is ridiculously low. I don’t live at home with my parents or have a rich husband so this job is simply fun money for me. I am the primary breadwinner and have a minimum the family can survive off of.

August 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm
(19) KA says:

“ē We might be looking for a particular level of candidate but, having looked and not found we may change the scope and settle for something less. Now we have a candidate with high expectations. If they do accept they come in with a poor feeling about the company.
ē Sometimes we upgrade the position that has just been vacated. The outgoing incumbent feels cheated because they didnít receive that salary.”

Companies only care about the bottom line. This is jibberish. If they don’t meet the requirements, it’s not rocket science to communicate to the individual that they are welcome to come on board but since they fall short of the requirements they would have to consider a lower salary until their experience or whatever they are short on is up to the expectation of the advertisement. Then their salary can be adjusted. And since when does a company care about an outgoing incumbent? Jibberish.

December 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm
(20) Debby says:

I would never waste my time on any posting that does not list a salary range.

February 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm
(21) Susette says:

The HR Department from a firm that does not specifiy salary is indicative of a company who is willing to degrade an individual’s hard earned experience, education and personal sacrifices for the HR’s company’s bottom line. This type of HR “professional” seeks to filter from the pool of unfortunate souls who lost their employment because of our employment “shocked” society – and are taking advantage of the situation. Find out who they are, tell everyone you know, and let the particular HR department know by writing a letter to them and sending a copy of it to the county personnel department, your City and State officials too – that is the job of the politicians to take care of the people not the businesses – businesses are not meant to operate like an individual – how many individuals make 2M dollar profits – not many.

February 28, 2013 at 11:39 am
(22) Judy says:

I do the recruiting for a small non-profit. We always put the salary range in our job postings. We do this for a number of reasons: As a non-profit, our salary ranges cannot compete with corporate salary ranges, so we are very upfront about what we are willing to pay. Additionally, I always discuss salary when I phone screen applicants to be sure they understand that this is the range and that negotiations outside the range won’t be entertained.

February 28, 2013 at 11:24 pm
(23) Masilela James M. says:

Every Organization/Company has its own strategy on attracting the candidates to join their team. What attracts and motivates the job seeker is how the organizational culture of each company / department have instore for candidates. The Organizational Labor Law as well as the salary structure nowadays plays magnificent role whereby an employee has a freedom of choice, speech and affiliate with his/her organization. The Organization with good culture and trust motivates and maintains the employee’s retention at every organization. The potential candidates will only be considered if they reach the minimum requirements and job specifications than just qualified and marketable. I therefore agree with an employer who encourage potential employees to enjoy the right to know about the job offer and positive requirements before the candidates wasting time applying for vacancy.

March 4, 2013 at 11:45 pm
(24) Ricardo says:

It always makes me reticent about applying when i don’t get an idea of the salary range. As someone who is looking for international jobs, this is a challenge particularly when applying to North American non profit organisations(NGOs) working globally.

I actually had the terrible experience of applying for such a job with no published salary or benefits. After an application (which included my entire salary history), and two interviews I was offered the position.

However, once the salary ‘negotiation’ began i was offered less than my current job. We had the emails back and forward on this, as I tried to further justify my worth. This was an international relocation, so i also had to factor in these costs. At the end of the day, for a much more stressful and senior job I was being offered a lower salary and less benefits than my current job. How could I accept?

I had to turn the job down even though this was a job i really wanted. I am talking about low-middle level jobs and I have very little savings. I work to earn money to live! This wasted my time and energy, as well as a huge amount of time for the organisation. If they had been transparent about the salary range, I could have done all of the calculations before applying, or chosen not to apply.

There is nothing to be gained in my view from this lack of transparency, especially when so many organisations want to know your salary history too!

March 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm
(25) Jay Soshnick says:

I’m wondering if posting salary information might increase the quality and number of inquiries for a job posting. What do you think?

March 21, 2013 at 10:03 am
(26) LGammon says:

Anyone who responded agreeing with not posting the potential salary of a position is a complete inconsiderate idiot. Unless you are desperate and will take any job handed to you, you are most likely looking to move up in salary and move on to another position. In the mean time, you have to take off time from your current position, possibly piss off your current manager and risk losing that job in order to gain employment with a better opportunity. Why would I waste my time and run that risk for a job paying far less or equal to what I am already making. No one is winning in that situation. The employer wastes time interviewing me and I waste my own time going. And even if I accept the low paying position, trust, I will not be staying any longer than the time it takes to find the position that satisfies my needs. Be considerate and everyone wins.

March 21, 2013 at 2:10 pm
(27) Lisa says:

Whether I am employed or unemployed I absolutely refuse to apply for positions that do not give a salary range. I fully expect a potential employer to try to hire a new employee at the lower end of the range. To hide or obscure something as basic as pay range makes me distrust a company or organisation. It also indicates that they have absolutely no regard for my time or resources…why would I want to work somewhere like that?

March 23, 2013 at 6:54 am
(28) Atoll says:

There’s nothing worse than applying, coming for an interview, acing it and then getting an offer from HR that is half of what you’re currently making, for greater responsibility.

Don’t try to be cheap – post a range.

March 23, 2013 at 10:48 am
(29) TrustyWorker says:

Hey,

The way I see it…. IF there is NO Salary Range, then the employer is NOT SERIOUS about hiring a professional/dedicated worker.

Period.

March 28, 2013 at 2:00 pm
(30) anonymous says:

I think it is a waste for both parties, especially when an advert doesn’t even list the company name. In the end I think the employer loses out more from qualified candidates who will not bother with an employer being inconsiderate about not listing a salary range.

The whole comment about, “We pay a great deal for salary surveys. We are not going to give our information away to our competitors for free” is absurd. If your company is a great place to work and pays people fairly, you should not even be worried about the fact that your competitor knows what you are paying.

April 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm
(31) Daniel says:

I think that employers who don’t post salaries so as to keep the competition in the dark is a crock of ….. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but sounds like they’re all in cahoots so that they can keep the salary range low.

May 28, 2013 at 11:10 am
(32) Ferret Chere says:

Note to self: never apply for a job listing which says to contact “Ian Webster”. Clearly the guy is not only a complete moron but has managed to convince himself that there is meaning to his idiocy.

June 28, 2013 at 2:00 am
(33) Kevin says:

There was a time that I used to apply for job positions that failed to list salary, but not any more. After taking considerable time filling out a lengthy application, crafting my cover letter to their requested information and going through THREE lengthy interviews, I was offered the position at $10k less in salary than my current position. Needless to say, I turned down the position and have opted not to apply for non-salary listed positions anymore. The position I turned down is still listed six months later, and I always laugh when I read their disclosure that “unemployed applicants will not be considered’. If you want to steal talent away from your competitors, post the salary upfront that will attract them in the door to apply. Not posting is just a waste of both the employer and applicants time.

July 16, 2013 at 11:03 am
(34) AB says:

I’ve seen some real numpties with zero experience being recruited for positions that required a particular technical skill, because they were the only people to apply when salary information was left out and existing/historical salary was demanded of any applicants. All that candidates with options do is not apply. They know that any company that would demand that information without so much as being open about what their budget is would be a nightmare to work for. What companies end up with when they’re misguided enough to allow their HR department to post such presumptuous adverts are chancers and liars. People with valuable skills invariably have better options than playing the, “I’ll pay you what you already make, no matter how good you are” game with clueless HR drones.

August 2, 2013 at 8:54 am
(35) Jon says:

Simply put, if you don’t list a salary, you won’t attract some applicants. There are a lot of qualified people who are currently working, who don’t need a job, and so feel no need to waste time applying for something that doesn’t give out enough information. Instead you will only get the people who will apply for anything.

August 6, 2013 at 10:38 am
(36) Amanda says:

I have never and will never post a job advert without listing a salary.
1) it aids in job searches for clients
2) aids in the selection process
3) is fair and transparent
4) My clients are my customers, I want the best staff, and Im going to put some work in to make sure I get them. Sounds like Ian above is a little bit lazy.

Some recruiters are lazy, what I can’t work out for the life of me is why this seems to be standard practice in Canada. Here in the UK, it is the number 2 searchable under job title…

September 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(37) Latonya Dentler says:

You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

October 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(38) Lisa says:

I think it is a complete waste of time for both parties, the company and applicant, if a salary range is not posted. The only reason I can fathom companies do this is to try and get the cream of the crop for less than market value. But, as has been posted above, only those desperate for anything, will take the job for less than market. However, once the market improves, they are out the door. It’s awful the way companies are acting these days. They want you to have specialized experience, several degrees, certifications, etc., sell your soul to the devil and ignore your family responsibilities to pay you $10/hr. And the HR administrator WILL get a bonus for coming under budget. No cares if the work is getting done properly, or at all. I see this in the company I work for now. They are not replacing people who leave or retire and expecting the remaining people to suck it up. Meanwhile, no raises or bonuses, etc. No transparency in salaries for other positions in the company either. It’s nuts.

November 2, 2013 at 11:17 am
(39) Masoud says:

It really depends on which region / practices and the maturity of the Labour Market. in the Middle East, it is not that matured yet to post salaries.

There are certain jobs where no arguments about the Salary make any difference regardless of experience. You pay for the job.. such as simple jobs so it is ok to specify what you are willing to pay. etc.

November 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(40) Maggie says:

I never post salaries in the job description, I think it is something that is just fine being revealed later on during the interview process. It’s not that I don’t want the candidate to know, but I think it adds to the clutter that so many job descriptions struggle with.

People don’t want to read an entire novel. They want to know who the company is and what they do (in a nutshell). They also want to know the primary functions of the job. If salary is so much of an issue to them that they are not willing to even apply without knowing, then chances are they are not the kind of employee you want on your team.

November 27, 2013 at 10:19 am
(41) Seasoned Recruiter says:

If you are qualified for the position, you should have an idea of what the salary range for this position is going to be. So posting this information is really a moot point. Companies are looking for the best fit for a position. This isn’t necessarily always just about the technical skills either. There needs to be a good fit with the companies culture as well.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with posting a pay range is that people will always think they should be at the high end of that range. That’s just human nature, nobody ever says that I should get paid less. However, perception is typically not reality and not posting a pay range just prevents uneccessary back and forth.

January 17, 2014 at 9:25 am
(42) beachgal says:

Maggie, your arrogance astounds me. People work for pay. People are worth something and before they come to a place of employment, they want to make sure YOUR company is worth it. No novel needed. Just job description and salary. No one cares that “everyone feels like family”, or “free lunch on Friday”. Those are what should be addressed “later on”.

February 6, 2014 at 10:37 am
(43) Mike says:

Bottom line, employers don’t want to list salaries because they all want to pay the least amount possible. If they list a salary then it’s in writing and is expected. If not, they can…..and will eventually, find some senior level to work for entry level pay.

February 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm
(44) Charlie says:

Maggie, I am curious as to why you wouldn’t want someone on your team who is interested in knowing what the pay is before he applies. Would you be willing to schedule and interview with someone who you do not know if he is qualified? You should consider that candidates will identify your offer as ‘qualified’ also! Personally, if a company does not feel like treating you respectfully and with equality (i.e. does not feel that they can treat anyone as they wish because they offer a job) then I certainly do not want to work with them.

Seasoned Recruiter, I believe that what most people complain is that although qualified candidates know what range is to be payed, companies will end up revealing that they pay less. Therefore, it could be in everyone’s best interest if they just posted the salary and job description so that candidates know what jobs are out of their acceptable salary range, and companies can figure out if they are out of market and maybe that’s why they can’t fill vacancies with the best candidates.

February 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm
(45) Deb says:

I won’t apply at for a job without the pay listed. It’s a waste of time especially when I am applying out of the area.

February 12, 2014 at 4:16 pm
(46) Elizabeth says:

Believe it or not, I’d be fine with a fairly wide salary range in a posting. For example, when I started out over a decade ago, a local community-college district used to advertise faculty positions with descriptions whose stated salary range went from $38K to $64K. That’s a huge difference, but at least it let me know I could (at the time) afford to apply there, as opposed to a faculty position I’d been very excited about in my previous location. I’d been fully prepared to accept and even had started checking out houses in the area, only to learn at the last minute that it paid only $30,000, a sum that matched what I already was making as a teaching assistant, but for 25% more work, distance from the support system I needed to finish my degree, and a commitment to stay in that far-from-home place even longer. The letdown was hard on me AND on the institution offering the position, as they had to begin again after having narrowed down to their preferred candidate.

While I understand the arguments of the companies, it’s especially amazing to me to see how much this secretive tendency occurs even with ads from public institutions. These are places whose pay structures usually are on file somewhere official, albeit not necessarily somewhere easily accessible by applicants — what is gained from the secrecy there?

February 23, 2014 at 3:12 pm
(47) Dave says:

I think it is HIGHLY inconsiderate not to put the salary range in a job posting. I am in a management position, and have been considering leaving the company I am with. However, I have applied to, and been interviewed for, several jobs that turned out to pay $20k less than what I am making now. Those employers could have saved me and theirselves a lot of lost time if they had just posted the salary range. Not posting salary ranges is a disservice to everyone involved. It is total bull to spend an hour filling out their job application, then waste the gas driving to the interview, then spend up to two hours interviewing only to be informed that they have a lowball salary in mind. And to be honest, I think that’s why they don’t post the salary… they KNOW they won’t get the number of applicants applying that they are hoping for if they show their cards. They’re hoping some poor over qualified desperate schmuck will take the low-paying position in a moment of weakness. So far, EVERY company I have interviewed with that DIDN’T post a salary range, had a lowball offer. Yeah, understandable why they didn’t post the salary….. they don’t want people to see what Scrooges they are!!!!

One argument that employers put out there is that they don’t want their competition knowing what they offer…. seriously??? You don’t think they can’t find out if you don’t advertise it??? HA!

March 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm
(48) Ian Sinclair says:

If a price is not posted, I suspect a rip-off.
Iím self-employed but Iím always looking for career options. I know my worth and my needs. I am wage flexible but expect honesty.
As a workaholic, wages are not a big factor. But I won’t apply without knowing the salary. There are too many bad reasons for concealing wages & no compelling justifications. The reasons given do not stand up to logic.
Why waste my time and yours with a process that becomes moot when the salary is revealed. Why do that to yourself and applicants? Are you a data miner? Honesty streamlines the hiring process.
If you offer low wages, then you waste time with applicants who will back out when they learn what you think they are worth. On the other hand, high wages will not give your competitors an advantage.
When approaching a company blind, I will not ask about wages first, although it will be an early consideration. But I will not waste my energy searching job listings where the salary is not listed.
If you want to hire people who don’t care about the money, then get volunteers.
If a job listing does not include the wage, I assume that the company is dishonest. I immediately move on to honest listings. The information doesnít need to be absolute. But it should be specific. At the very least, confess to a wage range.
Employers who do not list the wage in the listing are as suspect as the retailer who will not post the prices.
The maxim, “If you need to ask, you can’t afford it.” applies to careers as
well as purchases.
Bottom line. By not including the wage, you are eliminating many high calibre applicants who might not care about the wage so much as the fact that you are unwilling to share the information. If, on the other hand, you include the wage, even if it is below the norm, you will attract more people who care about the relationship with the company. If the wage is high, it may increase competition for the position and intimidate your own competitors.

April 17, 2014 at 8:38 am
(49) Lynda says:

The people commenting about why they do not post job salaries are actually the ones that convince me NOT to apply for a job that doesn’t post the salary. The reasons they are giving are good ones but almost all good ones for the company! None are really giving any good reasons why the applicant should want to apply for positions that do not list the salary. This tells me a lot about the people who are hiring. Who would want to work for a company that is all about their business, their money and what is best for them without any consideration for the applicants. It requires a lot of time to apply for jobs on line. Some jobs require everything from paragraphs answering questions, biographies on the applicant and even personality tests to apply for their jobs. It seems it would be much easier for the company hiring to post the salary than for applicants to apply for jobs that might not be offering what they are looking for. I think if the employer is giving the kinds of reasons many have described here for why they don’t post the salary, I would venture to guess they are all about big money and not so much into caring about employee satisfaction.