1. Money
Susan M. Heathfield

Color Me Purple Team Building Icebreaker

By August 30, 2013

Need an always successful, interesting, yet personality revealing, icebreaker for teambuilding sessions? In a team building exercise I have used for years, participants are asked to name their favorite color. Then, they are asked to list words that describe their favorite color.

The consistently most popular color selected has been blue. The second most popular color has been red. Blue words have included sky, serene, and calming. Red words have included exciting, daring, bright, and noticeable.

My poll below is showing different results than I have experienced in my team building activities.

My personal favorite color is purple. Words that I use to describe purple are: twilight, richness, splendor, wisdom, and stillness. Purple seems to be one of your favorites, too.

About.com's Psychology Guide, Kendra Cherry, has written about The Psychology of Color and describes the meanings of colors. Scroll all the way down her article to find links to the meanings of the various colors. (You may want to change the shade of your office or car to better fit your personality or mood.)

What is your favorite color and what are words you would use to describe it? Please respond in my poll and share your views in comments below.

Image Lise Gagne

Poll: What Is Your Favorite Color? Please share the words you'd use to describe your color in Comments.

Take more polls. Find out how others voted. Some votes may surprise you.

More Team Building Resources

Comments
August 8, 2006 at 8:58 am
(1) Francine Provost says:

I like blue because it’s the color of the sky and the sky is the limit. I always thrive to learn more and there seem to be no limits to what interests me in psychology and human behaviors.

August 8, 2006 at 12:34 pm
(2) Dr.C.Rajendran says:

I like blue since it is soothing and suggestive of nobility.It puts you at ease and removes all irritants from the mind.

August 9, 2006 at 10:38 am
(3) Fay Barrett says:

I like green – especially dark shades of green. I am reminded of freedom and peacefulness and how vast the world is. The various shades and tints of green tells of God’s bountifulness.

August 9, 2006 at 2:54 pm
(4) Susan Wesson says:

I like Red. Red has always been my favorite color because it is bright and bold. It makes me feel happy. I have also been told I look good when I wear red. It is in my color palette for my skin type too.

August 9, 2006 at 4:24 pm
(5) Lynda M says:

I am in my yellow phase. Of course, yellow is the perceived color of the sun, thus sunflowers which follow the sun. Two very cheery images for me. Yellow can muster up images of lemons, flowers, peach flesh, mustard fields….. I think yellow just inspires happiness to me.

August 11, 2006 at 4:34 am
(6) Devrim says:

I like red. A lot of my things are red calour in my life. Why red ? actually I dont know but when I use red things I feel good, active and relax same time.

August 11, 2006 at 7:03 pm
(7) Marj says:

sunrise, sunset, warm, bold, and on fire.

August 15, 2006 at 4:07 pm
(8) Cheryl says:

I like blue because it is calming and there are so many shades to choose from.

September 28, 2007 at 9:11 am
(9) Kimberly says:

Deep purple is a rich tone while lighter tones like lilac are soft and soothing. Bright tones of purple are playful and happy. The varity purple offers make this color my all time favorite.

February 25, 2008 at 5:37 am
(10) shikha says:

white denotes purity,freshness n peace

August 7, 2008 at 5:23 am
(11) Andrei Andreea says:

green – fresh, prosperity, peace, clean air, breath

August 7, 2008 at 11:47 am
(12) Sheri says:

I chose pink – I like pink because it is feminine, soft, rich, tough, a little sassy, and confident.

August 7, 2008 at 11:58 am
(13) Debi says:

Pink – sassy, feminine, a contradiction – (notice me in hot pink; blend in with soft pink)

August 7, 2008 at 12:12 pm
(14) Angela says:

Pink is the color of all that is fun about being a girl. Light pink represents a baby girl…pure, hopeful. Hot pink represents the passion we feel as women who wear many hats in life. I love the color! All shades truely respresent different stages in my life!

August 7, 2008 at 12:13 pm
(15) pam ryan says:

Orange is my current favorite color. It is spunky, fun, warm, exciting and never boring. We need orange in our lives to remind us to not take things too seriously. It makes me smile because it’s unexpected and cheerful, too. Orange lightens the mood of any dull room or day!

August 7, 2008 at 12:13 pm
(16) Pat says:

One of my favorite colors is green- to me it means Spring and new life.

August 7, 2008 at 12:27 pm
(17) Peg says:

Red- the color of passion, energy, power and strength

August 7, 2008 at 12:36 pm
(18) Liz says:

I’m digging orange right now A LOT! It’s warm, it’s happy, it’s silly, you can almost smell it (other than blue berries, who has a food?), it’s awesome. It looks horrible on me, but that’s what so cool about it – it’s still orange and still wondeful!

August 7, 2008 at 12:37 pm
(19) Amanda says:

Pink is my favorite color. It is warm and friendly, it can signify love and/or friendship. It is typically related to girls, but since most women are at their core who they were at 10 years old (i.e. values, sense of self, familial foundation, etc) there is often an emotional tie to girlhood. The color pink just makes me feel good.

August 7, 2008 at 1:07 pm
(20) Judy says:

Blue is my favorite color. For me blue is ocean blue, sky blue, baby blanket fuzzy blue, gunmetal stormy blue. Blue reflects so much – infinity, serenity, warmth, innocence. It speaks to me in many ways.

August 7, 2008 at 1:55 pm
(21) Dawn says:

PURPLE – vibrant, bold, but can also be subtle and soft. Depending on the shade depends on the feelings……I also get a sense of richness, for life and adventure!There’s childhood memmories when I think of Purple, because I had a purple room growing up. I now await the day I can afford my dream bike custom painted – you guessed it – PURPLE!

August 7, 2008 at 3:11 pm
(22) Werner says:

I like yellow, it is the sun, it’s open, joyfull, optimistic, at least is it interpreted so in psychology.

August 7, 2008 at 3:46 pm
(23) Leticia says:

I love shades of purple. This has alway been my favorite. The dark shades are rich and strong and the lighter ones are soft and gentle. Delicate flowers come to mind.

August 7, 2008 at 3:52 pm
(24) TM says:

Purple is my favorite color. It is vibrant, bold,the color of royalty, represents Justice in the Mardi Gras flag. Amethyst is also my birthstone(February) and the color worn by my favorite football team, the LSU Tigers. ;o)

August 7, 2008 at 10:24 pm
(25) Lyn says:

I like purple, even liked it before it became fashionable. Purple has links to all things magic, it is strong and dominant all the things I like to be. I even have purple hair, imagine how happy my hubby is with the new purple and black bedroom we share. More purple to you all.

August 8, 2008 at 3:59 am
(26) Abhilasha says:

Yellow – Warmth,Happiness,Joy, Divinity, exuberance, honesty. This is the color for me.

August 8, 2008 at 5:50 am
(27) Judy FB says:

Blue – royal, serene, warm, calm, innocence

August 8, 2008 at 7:59 am
(28) Christy says:

Greeeeeen – connotes fertility,fruitfulness,newness and life!Im reminded of plants.

August 8, 2008 at 2:03 pm
(29) Patricia says:

Black is classic, works for every season and in every situation, never goes out of style (remember avocado green and harvest gold!) and black goes with every other color.

August 9, 2008 at 11:52 am
(30) Anne says:

I like the colour black since it spells class and richness. It is connected with the executive look and is distinctive.

August 9, 2008 at 2:04 pm
(31) Kevin says:

My favorite color is green. I equate the shades of green with life and growth, like the forests in Washington state where multiple shades of green intertwine and create amazing contrasts, especially when the
Sun is shining through the canopy. God Bless.

August 9, 2008 at 3:01 pm
(32) Sujata Suresh says:

I have been a White and more so off white fan, shall I say.
Earlier it was lavender
Now however, I like orange a lot and yes still prefer off white even now, Black is another, Amethyst colour, Turquoise blue… Hmm which shall I choose? My dont I sound a perfect Libran…ha..ha

August 11, 2008 at 7:28 am
(33) barb says:

I like green because it the color of leaves, grass, meadows, life, growth and freshness.

August 11, 2008 at 11:09 am
(34) Carol says:

I love purple. It combines the serenity of blue and the excitement of red. It reminds me of a cautious adventurer.

August 11, 2008 at 11:38 am
(35) Gillian says:

Soft green is my favourite colour. It is restful, soothing, calming, healing and gentle. It is the colour of springtime, when new leaves and buds start to unfurl. Pale green carpets and/or curtains make a home welcoming and fresh, and I never get tired of them.

October 20, 2008 at 2:43 am
(36) Sebastyne says:

Orange is my colour these days. It is vibrant, ridiculously humorous colour that makes me happy. It’s powerful and unusual, and difficult to handle a lot of times, but in the right place it’s irreplaceable. It bursts with laughter!

February 18, 2009 at 8:42 am
(37) Theresa Nabbs says:

Red is my favourite colour as it is a bold fun colour and reminds me to be positive about everything in life

March 30, 2009 at 5:10 pm
(38) Lori says:

Black is a strong and powerful color. It represents depth, adventure of the unknown, and intensity.

October 12, 2009 at 11:35 am
(39) Janer Montiel says:

My favorate color is BLUE-It reminds me of the OCEAN the breeze and the wonderful Ocean scent ans how peaceful the waves sound!

March 15, 2010 at 1:03 am
(40) Belinda Nye says:

Red is my favorite colour. It makes me feel strong and it looks great with black. I like read because it feels powerful and is a reflection of me.

June 6, 2010 at 9:23 am
(41) Shruthi says:

Pink: Vivacious, fun and youthful.

June 7, 2010 at 3:33 am
(42) Anna says:

Green: fresh, clean, energising, spring time, coming back to life

February 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm
(43) Rosie says:

RED to me – Fiery, exciting, deep, contentment, heart, M&Ms, ruby

July 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(44) Harriett says:

Yellow is my favorite color

bright, hot, summer, sunset, mello

May 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm
(45) beverley says:

I like green as it suggests energy, balance, vibrancy, depth, fairness, strength and growth. In a word life!

October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(46) Barbara Loyd says:

Green is my favorite from this list. In nature, it goes with everything. It is a dual color, a combo of blue which connotes peacefulness and yellow, which reminds us of sunshine. Blue calms, yellow excites, so the combo is very pleasing. On my blog, colorfilled.blogspot.com, I discuss the many cultural and psychological aspects of colors.

April 10, 2014 at 4:37 am
(47) Pernille Petersen says:

yellow is warm kind and fresh.
Colour of the artistic sun.
colour of my mother’s favourite flower-tulip.