1. Money
Susan M. Heathfield

What's Your Strategy for Keeping Your Job?

By January 29, 2009

No matter your job or your industry, this year is a challenge for employment. In 2008, 48% of employers laid people off, according to a Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) survey cited at CNNmoney.com.

This number is anticipated to rise in 2009 and the job market is not expected to recover until 2011, according to Challenger Gray & Christmas, a Chicago-based outplacement firm.

These odds are not in your favor, but you can increase your chances of keeping your job by increasing your value to your company. Let's face it, companies do not lay off their best employees unless the employee works in a non-critical position or the company is suffering near death throes.

But, you need to have a strategy about how to keep your job. I've listed a few in my newest poll and highlighted ten strategies in How to Keep Your Job. What's your strategy for staying employed in the current economic climate? You do have a strategy - don't you? Please take a look at what others have said and respond in What's Your Strategy for Keeping Your Job?

Quote of the Week - More Quotes

Dane, a reader who works in the pharmacy industry, writes to us to share these words for trying times: "I believe the anonymous author who wrote the Serenity Prayer was a little vague
intentionally. The ideals Serenity, Courage and Wisdom are much too precise to be
paired with the ambiguous word, things. Things such as doors, rocks, fences have
never caused the disruption in my life that people have.

"When I learned to name the
specific thing I had to accept, that I can change, then and only then, was I blessed
with the needed Serenity, Courage and Wisdom. I enjoy my journey through life more when I
am not creating my own hardships."

Dane says:

"God grant me the Serenity to accept the
people I cannot change, the Courage to change the one person I can - myself - and
the Wisdom to know if it is my problem or their problem."

Please vote in my poll and respond in "comments."

All Topics | Most Popular | Newsletter | HR Forum

Add to Technorati Favorites

Bookmark and Share

Comments
January 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(1) Keith says:

Susan, you forgot one in the list: Make my job so complex and arcane that they’ll be afraid to lose me because nothing will get done anywhere in the organization after I leave. ;-)

January 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm
(2) Susan Heathfield says:

Hey Keith, I can’t steal all the thunder from the site’s visitors. Have fun with this one…

January 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(3) MM says:

All of the above.

January 29, 2009 at 7:21 pm
(4) Ninfa says:

Hi. I’m blessed with talents existing employees in my workplace do’nt have. That’s my strength. If they would kick me out, they can find one but not an exact replacement of my wit. :)

February 4, 2009 at 9:14 am
(5) Karen says:

My thought is that it is arrogant to believe that through control and manipulation that I can secure my job. My experience has shown me that God has moved me into positions that I thought I would never have by opening doors that I had nothing to do with. Likewise, if I am to move through layoff – He will again open doors and provide. It does not mean that I do nothing at all and sit on my blessed assurance – just that manipulation does not secure anything nor does peace come through this means of control.

May 19, 2009 at 9:46 am
(6) Amy says:

I am surprised that so many people chose:
Be the go-to person who has significant, needed organization knowledge.

In the information age, this type of thinking can give you false security. I have seen many people I worked with over the years with this strategy that are the first to be laid off and I have also seen the same people stunt their professional growth because they think this strategy is enough.

May 23, 2009 at 8:42 am
(7) Norma says:

I was fired after 9 yrs w/the excuse of not achieving their expectations. But, that is “strange” when my previous eval’s were “surpassing” or “reaching expectations” and several recognitions. I was lucky to find a job just a week later, and I learned to establish priorities and just do your job, not loosing focus and do more than expected, going outside the box and thinking of all possible situations. Ignore office gossip and waste of time, be friends to all and no one and keep learning. Dont be afraid to be yourself and give your opinion (respectul way), since they want thinking people and not yes man persons. Things are tough now, so you show what is your value, what you are capable of and that you are an asset to any company.

March 9, 2010 at 9:39 am
(8) Dolly Khumalo says:

I totally agree that if you want to remain employed, you have got to make yourself resourcefull. People should know that whilst no one is indispensable, you would be sorely missed should you get promoted and have to leave. Work smart and not necessarily longer hours.